AM I THE ONE AXING THE AAREY TREES?



















Earth provides enough to satisfy every man’s needs,

but not every man’s greed.”

-      Mahatma Gandhi

For many days, now, some of my dear friends have been sending me strong appeals against the controversial decision by the authorities to axe over 2500 trees in Aarey forest to make way for Metro car-shed. Even though this issue concerns all of us in this city, why is that only some feel so strong about it, and why many of us, including myself, don’t?


Honestly, most of us choose to see the other way. Because, it has not affected us ‘directly’, yet!







Just as you and I, here in India, feel about the fire presently raging in the Amazon rain forests!


Well, many of us do know what impact can such disasters – most of them, yes, caused by human greed in the name of development – can have on ‘life’. I didn’t say ‘human life’. I said, ‘Life’… all kinds of Life… animals, birds, insects, plants and vegetation… both, born and unborn. Yes, we know, the kind of toxic impact such man-made disasters can bring about. Still, because, most of us live oceans away from Brazil’s burning forests and, even miles away from our own Aarey, we prefer to look the other way. The fire and the axe have not yet come to our doors, you see. Hence!








Anyway, as one of my friends, last night, argued with me vehemently, asking, “What can you and I do about it?” His argument was better than someone axing my conscience, asking, “Where is your heart when you destroy fishes and animals to satisfy your apatite?”


I have no answer. For, I eat fishes and animals, you see!


We all know, that some things are not good… But, we all bury our heads into the sand and say, “I cannot see”!


Therefore, I find it difficult to shout slogans, “Let's save the planet Earth”!


I know how guilty I am for harming the planet earth!



As a little boy, back home in our village… we lived in houses raised with red soil, hay roof and floors prepared with cow-dung paste. We lived with buffaloes, cows, dogs, chicken and drank water from our open wells and streams flowing down from hills. Fruits, trees, grass, insects, bees, birds, snakes… yes, we all lived together, even though we humans had gone to their place and, knew, that, soon, we would render them homeless. We brought down hills after hills and filled ponds after ponds; we encroached upon rivers and seas just to build our roads, bridges, dams, and big buildings. And, we hailed our feat as ‘Progress and Development’!


All of us from our poor villages, including myself, wanted to come to mega cities like Mumbai or fly to dream-lands like the US, Europe or the Middle East for ‘progress’. Let me tell you this sincerely: None of us asked, then, how was America built? How were the European or the Gulf nations built?


We ask about it now!


I am living with my own guilt. I am the co-conspirator in all the disasters caused by human greed… be it the Amazon forest fire, which is raging oceans away from me… or, be it the Aarey forest, which is threatened to be axed.


God, forgive me!



GERALD D’CUNHA

Pic.: Tuko


Videos:1. BQBlue 2. Sky News

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MUTHU KODI KAWARI HADA

"HAPPILY EVER AFTER IS NOT A FAIRY-TALE... IT IS A CHOICE"

SELLING MIRRORS IN THE CITY OF THE BLIND

THE WILD, WAYSIDE FLOWERS
There is, always, something extra-ordinary in the wild, wayside flowers...