THE TIME TO LET GO THE POLE
“Stillness is the
language God speaks,
and all else is a
bad translation.”
— Eckhart Tolle
I met
this doctor friend of mine after many years when I rejoined the Tai Chi classes.
He is a gentle soul; and his presence and speech, always, have a calming effect on me. Every Sunday morning, after
our Tai Chi session, we both sit in a nearby Mani’s restaurant for a simple cup
of tea… During those few minutes there, we discuss anything that is simple and
light…
But, I don’t
know if what we discussed this morning was simple and light…
One of the
relatives of my doctor friend (Age 56) is at a terminal stage of cancer. She
and her husband have come (from Dubai) to stay at the residence of my doctor
friend for undergoing Chemotherapy in one of the hospitals in Mumbai.
“Presence of
loved ones around can help the recovery process,” I said.
“That’s true,”
said my friend, “However, one can be lonely even when surrounded by several
loved ones around. Inner issues need to be resolved.”
I agreed…
“I, always, give
the example of Pole Vault,” my doctor friend continued, “The running is our
efforts; the pole is our knowledge; but, when we reach the peak, we need to let
go the pole, so that we can land where we are supposed to.”
I could see the
point my friend was trying to make… I could see how difficult for most of us to
leave the pole when on top –- control, clinging, attachments… these are our
obstacles to feel light… feel truly accomplished.
Knowledge –- all
kinds of it –- has to be dropped when we assume, that it’s at the peak…
“That’s the
meaning of Vedanta –- the end of the knowledge,” my doctor friend concluded, as
I wondered if what Steve Maraboli said was related to Pole Vault:
“Cry. Forgive.
Learn. Move on.
Let your tears water
the seeds of your future happiness.”
GERALD D’CUNHA
Pic.: thesportsmag.org
Video: Tales by Monisha 2.0
Comments