CELEBRATING OUR DIFFERENCE

 



“Share our similarities, celebrate our difference.”

M. Scott Peck

 

This morning, I was talking to one of my friends. During the course of our discussion, I praised his young son… “His work is brilliant, absolutely creative and unique,” I said, “I look forward to see his new work posted on FB.”

My friend’s son, as I said, is a creative young man. Who works for a automobile-design company where he is given a free hand to express himself. So, each of his new work he regularly shares on FB with his friends, which is highly appreciated.

“My son is gifted, very creative and brilliant, no doubt,” my friend said in response to my compliment, “But, he is too sincere and trusting not only at his work place but also everywhere else. Therefore, he doesn’t get the due recognition and, often, people take undue advantage of his gentleness.”

For a while, I thought, that my friend was talking about me… “You are too gentle, sincere and trusting in a rough and tough world… They take you for a ride, and don’t give you the recognition you deserve…”

Yes, several well-wishers of mine have told that to me, several times… “Be rough and tough; don’t be too trusting etc.” But, my nature hasn’t changed…

Is it good, or is it bad?

My friend continued, “But, my daughter isn’t like my son… If someone asked my son sweetly, ‘I need Rs. 25,000’, my son wouldn’t ask a dozen questions… If he has money, he simply gives without even saying ‘When are you going to return it?’. But, if someone asked my daughter even hundred rupees, she would ask a hundred questions… Only if she is convinced, she would give, but not before making sure it would come back.”

My friend added, “She just returned from an official trip to Greece… She went alone and we did not have to suggest her on any matter… She is strong, independent and world-wisely. But, if our son was to travel like that, both my wife and I would be a lot anxious, knowing his nature and limitations.”



How different two siblings can be! They come from the same parents, and the same God provides them their respective nature… Couldn’t God make them similar?

I can only smile!

Many of my well-wishers do very well financially… They lead a very comfortable life… They are financially very shrewd, too careful about doling out any help without scrutinizing. Their philosophy is straight and simple: No free lunch… No blind trust.

Anid, I think, that philosophy is really good… It is needed. If I am bad in this area, it doesn’t mean their practical philosophy is bad. I have to imbibe good part of their philosophy, wherever and whenever possible. Else, I, too, will be taken for a joy ride… I know it.

Interestingly, in the offices and drawing rooms of all my affluent friends, I see, on the walls, a framed picture – mostly, large-sized – of a spiritual/intellectual Master. On enquiry, my affluent friends talk reverentially about their Masters… How simple, yet how great their Masters had lived their lives…

I wonder: “Weren’t these Masters advised against living a life of a Fakir? Weren’t they pointed – ‘”Don’t be too sincere, trusting and simple?”  

“You cannot live with saints,” said OSHO. Most of us are happy only admiring and worshipping our saints… from a distance!

It seems tough – not at all practical – to have a living saint in our drawing rooms… Yes, they seem ‘Great’ only when hung on the walls!

My friend’s son is not a saint, I know… But, the gifted young-man is what he is – sincere, trusting and giving. You try making him like his practical, shrewd and tough sister… I don’t think, you will succeed.




All kinds of people make this world… As M. Scott Peck says, sharing our similarities and celebrating our difference – is LIFE.

 

GERALD D’CUNHA

Pic’s: Pixabay

Video: The Dodo

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MUTHU KODI KAWARI HADA

"HAPPILY EVER AFTER IS NOT A FAIRY-TALE... IT IS A CHOICE"

SELLING MIRRORS IN THE CITY OF THE BLIND

THE WILD, WAYSIDE FLOWERS
There is, always, something extra-ordinary in the wild, wayside flowers...