BOSS, TELL ME... WHEN WILL I GET MY LADDER?

 



"It's better to under-promise and over-deliver

than to oversell and under-deliver."

Unknown

 

On FB, I have been getting these tempting ads from ‘Home Essentials’. For our newly-renovated Centre (THE DAWN CLUB CENTRE OF EXCELLENCE), we needed a simple, aesthetic ladder. ‘Home Essentials’ have been sending to my timeline a hundred ads about so many things, including beautifully-designed ladders. I booked a 3-step ladder (black colour) paying full amount. It’s close to ten days now… and, I haven’t received the ladder, yet. But, yes, I received a message confirming the order… and expressing regret on the delay… “Our delivery partner and the team are working on it… The delay is due to heavy rains”, I was told…

But, it’s very sunny and bright outside… It’s not raining at all. So, I tried to follow up… But, you know how the situation today is: You are served by robots and not humans… AI gives you prompt response; but, it takes you in circles… I got frustrated and yelled at the robot: “Boss, tell me... When will I get my ladder?”

The response was hilarious… crazy. I started pulling my hair!

Relentless reels, feeds and ads about everything that one does, creates, produces -– it’s so easy to produce, create and promote in today’s world. But, it’s outright overselling and underdelivering. Machines have no heart, no blood… only an artificial brain.





A young boy, who I had taught in class 12 last year, sent me a message: “Sir, I have written this story. Can you please go through and offer me your suggestions?”

This 16-year-old is bright, no doubt. But, after reading his long, well-written story, I was compelled to send him this suggestion:

Beta, I loved the narrative and plot. Very imaginative… Just one caution: Don’t use Chat GPT/AI for creative writing. Rely on your God-given mind, heart and patience. Best wishes and keep writing.”

The boy replied, “Sir, I used little of AI.”

Trust, it was ‘little’!

Almost everybody -– from a vegetable vendor to a doctor, from a student to an institution –- yes, every one of them communicates via AI… Speed, yes, very quick. But, heart, sorry -– dead.

Trust is built slowly and steadily over a long, long time. What’s super-fast need not be equally trustworthy. Reels are very catchy… But, they are short-lived… gone even before you blink.

So has become our ‘trust’, na?

I don’t know…

People like me know only to ask some humans (and not robots) --  “Boss, tell me... When will I get my ladder?”



 

GERALD D’CUNHA

 

Pic.: 1. Modndo,com  2. Leticia Alvares

Video: Warner Bros. Entertainment

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

BUT, NOT INTO EACH OTHER'S KEEPING...

CHIKNI CHAMELI...

THE SPANISH DANCE

THE WILD, WAYSIDE FLOWERS
There is, always, something extra-ordinary in the wild, wayside flowers...