THE MAN WHO MOVES A MOUNTAIN

 



“The man who moves a mountain

begins by carrying away small stones.”

– Confucius

 

The only football match (the ongoing FIFA World Cup) I watched staying up late, here in Mumbai, was the Semi Finals between Argentina and England. Though, like most Indians, I, too, had been a diehard fan of Brazil and Argentina, during this match, I was rooting for England. I was upset, that Argentina had defeated two the widely-admired underdogs -– Cape Varde and Egypt. The two underdogs had played extremely well… and, therefore, my admiration for them outshone my traditional loyalty to the South Americans… that included the Champ –- Messi. Yes, the GOAT, according to the world around me…

As usual, I went off to sleep at 10, instructing my son to wake me up at 12.30 to watch the match. He did…

When England scored the first goal, I was thrilled… I saw David Beckham celebrating by hugging his wife, the Spice girl, Victoria… My Victoria, here, was fast asleep… Hence, I celebrated by hugging myself…

Anyway, it’s too early to celebrate… The night belonged to Argentina… Messi grew taller and flooded the news with finest superlatives…

Well-deserved, Champion. You have inspired millions all over the world, including this 14-year-old, Aaryaa, here. She is crazy about you… Plays football for her school only because of you. Thus, because I admire this little girl and want her to do well in life, I admire you, too… even though I did not want your team to win, this time…

You see, you and I will never get to shake hands with Lionel Messi during our lifetime. That’s okay. But, the next morning, at  8, I had to teach another young man, by the name Laksh. I had gone back to sleep post 2 p.m. –- a little sadder seeing England lose. Would I be able to get up early so to teach Laksh?





I was here at 7.45 in the morning… “Sir, I will be late by 15 minutes,” I saw the message. I thought, Laksh, too, had stayed up to watch the match.

“Did you watch the match?” I asked when Laksh reached at 8.20.

“Which match, Sir?” Laksh asked me. That’s when I realised, that all young ones were not football junkies, especially Messi’s.

“Then, why are you late, dear?” I asked.

“Sir, I slept at 4,” Laksh said sincerely.

“Binge watching the videos?”

“Yes, Sir.”

Laksh is 16… He needs more sleep. I will be 68 in a few days… I can survive with less sleep, you see…

But, then, Lionel Messi, or my two young ones here -– Aaryaa and Laksh –- should remember this: Your mess is part of your journey.”

Leave Messi alone… He is where he is, today, because, he moved the mountain, stone by stone…

 

GERALD D’CUNHA

 

Pic.: Pixabay.com

Videos: EstoEsBoca12

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

BUT, NOT INTO EACH OTHER'S KEEPING...

CHIKNI CHAMELI...

THE SPANISH DANCE

THE WILD, WAYSIDE FLOWERS
There is, always, something extra-ordinary in the wild, wayside flowers...