THERE IS NO PILLOW AS SOFT AS A CLEAR CONSCIENCE




“None can destroy iron,

but its own rust can.

Likewise, none can destroy a person,

 but his own his own mindset can.”

Ratan Naval Tata

 

Following the demolition of Babri Masjid (on 6th December, 1992), communal riots broke out in Mumbai (Bombay) and destroyed the delicate social fabric of brotherhood… Scores of lives were lost and crores of rupees, too…

Communal clashes are clashes between two communities – who follow two different faiths. But, imagine, you and I burning down each other’s homes, killing each other’s families, looting, raping, lynching – imagine getting reduced to such levels, just because we are instigated against one another…

It's the worst form of living… The darkest form of worship!

The communal riots had left so many citizens, who truly loved the secular spirit of this city, deeply moved.  Mr. Ratan Tata, who was young and energetic then, wrote a moving piece in a leading English daily – visibly shaken and saddened.

From my side, just 34 then, I had poured my angst in a small book titled - ‘The Forgotten Tenets’. It carried some passages/verses  about how my heart was feeling on witnessing the mayhem and madness in our beloved city… I wish to share a couple of those passages in this Blog:






“Where was Ram actually born?

Was it in Ayodhya or in a human heart?”


 


“They fight over a mosque and a temple…

Why don’t they fight over

the sun, the moon, the stars, the rain and the wind?”

 



“It doesn’t matter,

if I do not worship a God;

It doesn’t matter,

if I do not go to a temple or a mosque…

But, certainly, it does matter,

if I don’t respect God’s living image

on this earth: MAN.”



“There can never, never, never be a Holy War

as long as Life remains sacred…

It can be even your most bitter enemy’s…

 


The force that binds is Religion;

the force that forgives is Religion;

the force that shows compassion is Religion;

the force that divides, that hates, that kills –

can never, never, never be Religion.”

 


“God created not only man,

but also, birds, animals, flowers,

bees, plants, fishes, snakes and

so many other creatures.

Still, man alone worships God,

he alone has religions.

What do you think:

the other creatures aren’t thankful to God?”

 

These were just a few of the passages from my little book – ‘The Forgotten Tenet’.

On reading Mr. Ratan Tata’s moving article on the English daily, I instantly posted a copy of my book to his Bombay House address. I did it, because what he wrote in his rare article was similar in spirit to what I had written in my book… It was similar to what millions of us were feeling in our hearts.

I was touched when I received a letter signed by the great man appreciating what I had conveyed through my little book…



Mr. Ratan Tata was a man of clear conscience… To me, it was his personal and professional legacy.  Let me place my wreath, an old French proverb spelt on it:

“There is no pillow so soft as a clear conscience.”

 

GERALD D’CUNHA

 

Pic’s: 1. www.euroschoolindia.com

         2. www.amazon ae

         3. www.pngmart.com

 

Video: Ravish Kumar Official

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MUTHU KODI KAWARI HADA

"HAPPILY EVER AFTER IS NOT A FAIRY-TALE... IT IS A CHOICE"

SELLING MIRRORS IN THE CITY OF THE BLIND

THE WILD, WAYSIDE FLOWERS
There is, always, something extra-ordinary in the wild, wayside flowers...