THE SEVENTH HABIT
“In order to
understand the world,
one has to turn away
from it occasionally."
― Albert Camus
Shaina* has been
a regular reader of my blogs. She would comment, too… Sometimes, in the Blogs…
sometimes, on FB… and, sometimes, privately on WhatsApp. She had subscribed to
the books which I am, presently, putting together from my blog articles (10
beautifully-designed books, one in every three months). About a week ago, I had
couriered to her a hard copy of volume 1. Later, I messaged her, a couple of
times, to check if she had received the copy. But, there wasn’t any response… I
could, also, make out, that she hadn’t checked her messages.
So, yesterday, I
sent another message to her, “Shaina, is everything ok?” This time, Shaina did
reply:
“Gerry
Sir… I am extremely sorry for being unresponsive.
I
am ok; and thank you so much for checking on . It means a lot..
I
have just been having a very hectic time last few months, both, on the
professional and personal space… too many travels between time zones… mentally
occupied way beyond capacity… I, actually, switched myself off from some social
media for a bit..
Wish
I could do away with them altogether. But, they are, also, one connect with my
kids.”
I replied, instantly:
“Shaina,
I can understand... Even Jesus Christ, in the midst of His frantic rounds of preaching,
often, would leave the crowd alone, get into a boat, and just go away to be
alone… ‘Self-care’ or ‘Nurturing one’s soul’ was how we called such a ‘retreat’...
'Sharpening the saw' was how Stephen Convey would call it (presenting it as the
seventh habit in his pathbreaking book -- ‘The 7 Habits of Highly-effective
People). In today’s social-media world, we call it ‘Digital detoxing’… Whatever it is called, you did the right thing
by switching off to noise. Tcre.”
Too much noise…
way beyond our mental capacity. So much information… way beyond our need. So
much of FOMO –- Fear of missing out… Albert Camus rightly said:
“In order to
understand the world,
one has to turn away
from it occasionally."
*Name
changed
GERALD D’CUNHA
Pic.:
Video: Andre Rieu
Comments