WHEN WE ADD OUR HEARTS TO OUR EDUCATION

 




“Educating the mind without educating the heart

is no education at all.”

— Aristotle

 

I had taught Naresh in his T. Y. B. Com. It was forty years ago. We have remained as good friends ever since. Some months ago, his daughter Debanshee got married to her sweetheart, Sooraj, in a simple temple ceremony in America. Naresh and his wife, Sangeeta, attended this simple ceremony alongside boy’s parents.

A couple of days ago, Naresh had shared on WhatsApp a beautiful invite for the reception they have planned here in Mumbai (on 13th of this month). I, immediately, thanked him for the invite and confirmed, that my wife and I would, certainly, grace the occasion…

Yesterday, early in the morning, there was a call from Naresh… “Good morning Sir; hope, it’s not too early to call you.”

“Not at all, Naresh,” I said.

“Sir, though we have sent you the invite on WhatsApp, Sangeeta and I wanted to invite you and Anima, personally.”

Then, Naresh and Sangeeta invited me and my family personally. Sangeeta, also, spoke with Anima and invited her personally.

You may ask me: “What’s so special about this? Is it worthy of a blog?”

To my wife and me, it was special. Our day had started with a courteous gesture from our friends… We were touched, honoured.

Not many follow up with a courteous call after an invite is sent via WhatsApp. Some don’t even write a word… The digital invite is all…

Well, I am not trying to judge those who send the digital invite and leave it at that. They may be some of the finest people in our lives… But, I think, a personal touch would make our hearts feel a lot closer.

Agreed… Gone are the days of going to the residences personally (Sometimes, with a box of sweets, dry fruits, or presents)… and the head of the family having to do it… Such things are gone, extinct…

But, a personal invite –- a call –- isn’t too much to do, Sir. It does make the invitation special…

That’s early in the morning. At noon, my maid here at the Centre, Leela mousi, had come for work after a break of ten days. She had been to her native village, and, as always, she had brought for me something from her gaon: some chilkawala ground nuts (kaccha), homemade fry hums, and some fresh desi perus… Leeala mousi has been working here for more than thirty-five years… and, every time she makes a visit to her village, she remembers to bring for me these goodies…

Again, the big deal?

Yes Sir… To me, it is.





Then, in the evening, I sent a copy of my new blog book (‘FINDING EXTRAORDINARY IN THE ORDINARY) to Reema*, an ex-student of mine, now worked as a Chartered Accountant and a consultant. In a beautiful card, I had handwritten:

“Dearest Reema,

With warmest love and wishes.”

-     Gerry Sir.”

I had sent this book and the card in a tastefully-done envelope, again addressing her personally, through her son Kapil* (presently, my student). After that, I sent a nice WhatsApp message to Reema:

‘Hello Reema. Hope all is well at your end. Kapil has been responding excellently. I am happy to share the soft copy of my new blog book of the ten-book series. I have sent the hard copy to you through Kapil this evening. Please read. Nine more will follow, one in every 3 months. Have a look and call me tomorrow when free. Wish to discuss more. Good night.”

Late at night, I saw this reply from Reema:

“I have been busy in the Annual closing. I don't promise for tomorrow, but may be next week.”

It’s late in the night. I closed the conversation:

“Ok Reema. Good night.”

A heart as a full stop, I did add…

However busy you may be in life, some of us still wish a personal touch in your messages. May be, it’s not the norm of the day… May be, every one out there isn’t a Naresh and Sangeeta… and, may be, Leela mousi’s thoughtful gesture has nothing to do with Chartered Accountancy, MBA or a PhD…

 

Today is Mother Mary’s birthday… Let’s sing the Beatles song:

“Let it be… “





 

*Names changed

 

GERALD D’CUNHA

 

Pic’s: Pixabay

Video: Diesel Country (The Beatles cover)

 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

BUT, NOT INTO EACH OTHER'S KEEPING...

CHIKNI CHAMELI...

THE SPANISH DANCE

THE WILD, WAYSIDE FLOWERS
There is, always, something extra-ordinary in the wild, wayside flowers...