NEVERMORE TO ROAM... LORD, I AM COMING HOME
“I’ve wandered far
away from God,
Now I’m coming home;
The paths of sin too long I’ve trod,
Lord, I’m coming home.”
(From the hymn ‘Lord, I am Coming Home’)
Two days ago, Mrs. Vaz (We fondly called her
Vaz aunty) passed away at 88. Vaz family was very close to my in-laws’ family
when, years ago, they lived in the same building and the same entrance of one
of the buildings in Anushakti Nagar (BARC Colony). Then, they shifted to their
own house in a nearby private colony, where, I, too, as a bachelor, moved to
live along with my younger brother, Harry. I got married and, my wife came to
live in this house. For seven years, we were destined to be the neighbours of
Vaz family, and I was destined to teach their only son, Joywin, soon after.
Eventually, my wife and I moved to different places; but, we continued to stay
in touch with Vaz family…
Let me correct myself, here: My father-in-law considered
Vaz aunty as his sister. Till he died, five years ago, he and Vaz aunty would
call each other, daily… Yes, daily! On my every birthday, Vaz aunty would
remember to call me to wish. But, for last few years, aunty’s health had begun
to deteriorate… particularly after Vaz uncle died due to Covid. Joywin and his
wife, Pramila, despite their jobs, took good care of aunty. My wife and I had
visited their place to check on aunty… But, then, neither my wife and I, nor Joywin, could ever do what Vaz aunty and my father-in-law did for decades -– to stay in touch,
to check on each other, every day, in rain and shine, both… yes, in health and
sickness, that is… in good times and bad times, that is…
When the news came to us about Vaz aunty’s demise, the
first thought to consume me was that of a nagging guilt: “Why didn’t we check
on her for this long?”
For many years, the Patil family lived in the opposite flat
in that BARC Colony building where Vaz family lived. Both, Vaz uncle and aunty would
leave for work in the morning and return home late. The baby Joywin was, literally,
raised in the Patil household. The two sons of this Patil family (now in their
sixties, and who, now, live in Palghar district) had come for auny’s funeral.
They recounted so many fond memories of those days -– how simple life was… how
trusting and helping neighbours were… “Their door and our door were, always,
open… We considered both houses as one, and Joywin as our own baby,” the sons
recalled.
During the funeral mass, the choir group sang one of the
old hymns -- ‘Lord, I am Coming Home’. I don’t think, even a stone doesn’t melt every time this hymn is being sung during
funerals. Like the most sung hymn, ‘Amazing Grace’, the wordings remain similar:
The repentant heart pleading to God to show mercy -- with His grace, to forgive the sins, and take
back in His loving arms…
“I have wasted my
life…
Nevermore to roam,
Lord, I am coming home.”
No matter how pious, you think, you have lived your life,
in the heart of your hearts, you know, how far you had wandered away from God…
Hence, you cannot contain your tears, as this song goes up in the air…
“I’m tired of sin
and straying, Lord,
Now I’m coming home.”
Just
two days earlier, these four young Mumbai college kids were coming home –- most probably, from one of their wild,
nightlong parties… and, most probably, they were all drunk, both literally and
mentally… And, most probably, all these young kids belonged to some financially-affluent
families. Visibly, their BMW was driven so insanely fast, that it had lost
control, crashed into the heavy barricades, and plunged away into, almost, hundred feet down from the heights of the
coastal road. The car and the bodies, in seconds, had turned unrecognizable. It’s
5 a.m… The night hadn’t still ended… The young kids were yet to reach their
homes…
Were their loved
ones waiting, anxiously?
As the hymn was
being sung in the church, the disturbing images of the plunge in the wee hours
were flooding my mind…
“Nevermore to roam,
Lord, I am coming
home.”
GERALD D’CUNHA
Pic’s: 1. Pixabay/Mungdomino 2. Vaz family. 3. Atul Kamble/Mid-Day
Video: Songs and Everlasting Joy
Comments