IF YOU NEED TO STAND STILL, YOU NEED TO KEEP MOVING
“A man grows most
tired while standing still.”
Many years ago, when I had asked a doctor
friend of mine, “When are you getting settled”, his answer was hilarious. He jokingly
said, “Only mud settles in life.”
Well, being a doctor, just an MBBS or an MD weren’t
enough for a doctor. The world they lived in wanted them to keep adding one specialty
or a super-specialty after another… and, therefore, my friend was tossing the
familiar line from his profession: “Doctors don’t settle… Only mud settles in
life.”
Anyway, I had innocently asked him, “Mere dost, tum
shaadi kab koroge?”
Earlier, this friend had shared an interesting story with
me…
“When the fishermen in Japan go to the deep
seas, they erect huge water tanks aboard their launces to bring the fishes home
alive. And, to doubly ensure that, they put some sharks into those tanks.”
I still remember that story… Every time I wake up in the
morning, I remind myself with it… “Friend, no matter how you feel this morning,
you better get up, dress up and show up.”
The day I feel, that at 68, I have worked enough, I have done enough, I
have nothing else to explore -- and, I am not just talking about the financial
stability alone… Yes, my unpaid bills are sharks God has put in my tank… I
know, I know -- But, as the old saying
goes, “If you need to stand still, you need to keep running (moving).”
I met this doctor friend after long time, a
week ago. He had just started a new medical-care centre in partnership with
some of his fellow-doctors. “Stabilised?” I asked him with my typical naivety. My
friend gave me the same hilarious look, as if to remind me of the story of
Japanese fishermen which he had narrated years ago…
Yes, my friend, I, also, remember what Georges St-Pierre
said:
“Standing still is
never a good option… Not in the ring, and not in life. When you stop moving,
you're done.”
Let only mud
settle in life. Let the rest of us keep moving…
GERALD D’CUNHA
Pic’s: 1.
Video:
Comments