THE CATTLE CLASS

Today, the SSC results are out in Maharashtra. I have received so many messages from either the students or their parents telling me proudly about the results. None of them has scored below 85%. Today, when some one says he or she has scored 89% 0r 93%, not many eyebrows go up. It is great news… but that news is so common, today.

This post is not inspired by these ‘achievers’, but by a ‘loser’. Just a stone throw away from my classes, this family lives. The young man has scored a Glorious 45%! And, understandably, the young man’s father, a simple office assistant, has gone crazy. “He has shattered my hopes,” the distressed father goes about telling. Their neighbour’s son has scored 92%... and our young man is not even half way this ladder!


“It’s okay; he will surely do well in life,” I consoled the father. “Do well? With 45%?” the look almost scared me to death.

Did I simply do a lip service to this heart-broken man, or did I really mean what I said?

About thirty-five years ago, one evening in Mangalore, I heard that the next day would be our results and I couldn’t wait till the next morning. I walked all the way to my school, reached there in the night, and rang the room bell of my Head Master. “What?” the Father, who was in his casual clothes, asked me. “Results, Father,” I replied. “Come tomorrow morning,” he closed the door.

It was dark, and I had walked such a long distance with such anxiety and hopes… I could not go back without the results. I rang the bell again. “Didn’t you hear what I said?” Father warned me to go. “Please father, just tell me my percentage… I will go,” I pleaded. “Or else what will you do? Sleep here till tomorrow morning? Sleep,” he banged the door, once again.

Ten minutes later, the door opened slightly, and slowly. “You fool, you are still here?” Father came out, held my hand and dragged me inside,  closing the door from behind. “You are so anxious, aren’t you,” he asked me with a sarcastic grin, “Don’t worry; you have not failed.” “How much Father?” I was restless. “47%!”


Well those were different times. May be, that is equal to today’s 59 or 60 percent. But, certainly, even in those years, it was classified as ‘Third Class’… which will always mean the ‘Cattle Class’. Here, in Mumbai, they so gently call it - ‘Pass Class’.


Hey, I am going to be 52 this year… and, I have survived. That is really a great news!

Mine was a different story… The childhood was, if at all any thing, very uneventful. Those days, the bright kids did score 75 to 85 percent. I don’t remember, how much a rank holder scored. But, not like today, for sure. For my illiterate parents, mine was an achievement… as my elder brother had failed in his 10th standard. For them, I was a ‘success’, an ‘achiever’. They celebrated my success and thought that I would do well in life.


“Did I?”

Ignorance may be bliss. My parents did not know the kind of marks other children got those days… So, they did not make a big deal about my 47%. But, this father in Mumbai is a well-informed man. He knows how much every one around his son has got and how much his own son. He, therefore, thinks it is all over for his son.

“Take heart, my friend,” I felt like telling him. “Look at me; I have survived with my 47%.” But, I did not tell him that. In stead, I told him what we regularly tell our Public Speaking students: “Some flowers always bloom late… But, when they do, they leave the finest fragrance.”

“Come on, that’s nice for you to say,” the man wouldn’t buy my pop or pep philosophy. “I don’t think 45% can leave any fragrance, tomorrow,” he mocked.

It was the result day. The shock was still to be absorbed fully… The man was heavily disappointed. In his view, his son stood nowhere in a world of ‘percentages galore’. I felt sad for him, and even sadder for his son. I only prayed in my mind for the son to be one of those ‘later bloomers’, like me. “There is place for us in this vast world, my young friend,” I wished in my mind, “Believe me, even with our ‘Cattle Class’!”


GERALD D'CUNHA

Comments

Unknown said…
Very rightly said, Sir!
I think all those parents whose kids scored less should read this article...they'll surely have a change in their Attitude.
Dear Gerry
What powerful message and practicalities of life!
The Father feels it coz he has gone thru it and he dosent wants to see his in his shoes.
The son knows he has scored low but he isnt sure what the future holds of it.
They need to be reminded what Bill gates and Steve jobs had in common..
They were utter failures but became inspiration of modern age.
I recall the story where there was a murderer dacoit and hooligan...he used to live in Jungle and could possibly commit all the crimes he possibly ca.
One day he met a saint, and got a teaching that he should devote himself to god, provided he vows he will never commit another crime.
The dacoit agreed but dint know how to pray.
the sain advised, just to pray..Ram Ram Ram...he tried but couldnt, he tried again but failed miserably.
He asked for forgiveness and asked if he can say something which connects to his past crimes and god and that he can recite at ease..
Saint thought for the moment and said, say Mara Mara Mara, coz u have always killed people, u recite this and god will forgive you.
He continued reciting Mara...unaware that he was actually reciting Raam Raam Raam..
The peace prevailed the sins were forgiven and he turned to be 'Valmiki Maharishi'..who went on to write Ramayana!
Gerald D'Cunha said…
Hi Aditi, so glad to read your prompt comment. I am even glader for your own performence and the kind of empathy you bear in your heart for the less fortunate ones.

I have come to this conclusion, Aditi, when a man loses his innocence, he ceases to learn any thing in life... Keep the innocence, keep the student in your alive...

There is so much to learn, here... so much to grow, achieve, contribute...

Be grateful to your parents, teachers, well-wishers, and above all God, for blessing you with success and empathy, and, together, pray to help you grow with courage and dignity.

Love,

GERRY
Gerald D'Cunha said…
Hey Ashish, it is really a long time since I read your last comment.

As I have told you many times before, Ashish, your comments are not just comments; they are 'posts' by themselves. There is that storyteller in you, the writer... and you need to write often, just for its sheer joy.

The inspiring saga of the great sage Valmiki was familiar to me... Still, while reading your version, you could manage the suspence and the drama. That's why I say, do write often.

As far as our modern-day Valmikies are concerned, the kids love their gadgets... but, as you rightly said, they need to be reminded about how they went about their lives, particularly, the academic one.

Thanks for such a wonderful feedback.

Regards,

GERRY
Girish Dhameja said…
I liked the word “cattle class” Cattles are much better and superior then Lions and tigers as lion and tiger may never do the work what cattle can…..
In 1988 Sachin Tendulkar failed in class 10th and in 2010 he is the first chapter of class 10th.
Scoring marks is ok but at the end of day how you carry your self how you perform and how you conduct in exam of life makes real difference. In Today’s education system for getting low marks or failing, people are not scared to end there life, which is very wrong.
I feel these low marks or failure if taken in a proper way are a learning experiences. Scoring marks is not the ultimate goal of life. People with low score or low education had fared well. Shri Dhirubhai Ambani didn’t had a proper education but what he has done is simply majestic.
Thanks Gerry!
Your words are truly inspirational and I will try to inculcate this habit of writing often :)
dear gerry the great,
read your article on the ssc results.excellent.i never had any expectations of my son.he scored 86.36%,i'm happy.he's not.i told him to give thanks to the almighty.i think i too sail in the same boat as you.i scored 52% in ssc i.e in 1978-79.,late bloomer that is to sum it up.we all reap what we sow.there's no magic thats what i told my son,and there are years for you to sow better,if thats what he feels if he expected more,not me!
viva said…
Gerry sir I am also one of the late bloomer. It is a very true situation created by ourself and we ourself to blame. Everyone wants to become Engineer or IT professional today. The hype is such, there is no time to enjoy and grow naturally. Education has become a stressful burden rather than enjoyment. There is always a fear of loosing and failure. We need space to grow but chances are ruined by the system
chances are ruined by the
Gerald D'Cunha said…
Hi Girish,

You liked the phrase - 'the Cattle Class'? Well, Shashi Taroor will be happy to hear that. It is, in deed an old phrase... but, it was Taroor who gave it a new lease of life, of late, in his twitter... and, got into problems!

Now, I do not know, what is in store for me!

Girish, I did not know about Sachin's failure in 10th std. and that it is the first chapter of our 10th std students. If so, hats off to those guys who put it there.

But, then, I wonder... do we ever ask why it is there! Yes, why!

I still remember, how, once, two young boys debated in one of our Public Speaking sessions. The first one had put so forcefully this: "If Dhirubhai Ambani, not even a Matriculate, could do it, why can't we?"

The second one had refuted, mockingly: " Yes, we can... But, 'Do what'?"

"Grass cutting, my friend," came the quick response, "If not filling petrol in a pump like Dhirubhai!"

We gave this boy a rousing ovation. He had summed up the essence: "The key to success is to put all your passion into what you do."

Hope, our kids will get it.

Love,

GERRY
Gerald D'Cunha said…
Hey Nelson,

Thanks for the feedback. Do remain in touch with me through this medium... You know how bad I am on phone!

Our young man has done good for himself. I am rellly happy for him and proud. All that we need to remind them is what you have written in your comment: that, there is whole life ahead, open for us, to sow good seeds. And, we shall reap what we sow. Yes, as you said so beautifully, there is no magic in life. May be, there is 'grace'...

And, Nelson, you know that, I know that... lets trust, our kids too will know that!

Love,

GERRY
Gerald D'Cunha said…
Hi Viva,

Your comment was very profound. There is a lot of strain in learning and, as you said, it curbs the natural growth of a child.

Actually, the challenge lies right in our house when we struggle with the issues of our own children. It is like this: I know I am a 'Late Bloomer' in life. However, do I have the same tolerence towards my son?

When, again and again, I become aware of that lack of integity, I find enough strength within me to get hold of myself. I become more and more tolerent towards my son's limitations and failures... I get the wisdom to provide him the required 'space' to grow at his own pace.

Yes, the charity really begins at home... and our greatest battles are always fought in the inner recesses of our hearts.

Do write often.

Thanks,

Love,

GERRY

Popular posts from this blog

MUTHU KODI KAWARI HADA

"HAPPILY EVER AFTER IS NOT A FAIRY-TALE... IT IS A CHOICE"

SELLING MIRRORS IN THE CITY OF THE BLIND

THE WILD, WAYSIDE FLOWERS
There is, always, something extra-ordinary in the wild, wayside flowers...