WILL IT HELP?

Some days ago, a lady called me. She wanted to do the Personal Growth programme which THE DAWN CLUB conducted. I regretted saying that we conducted that programme only in the summer holidays. However, I could help her with our inspirational books. "Please come over... I will give you something to read," I told her encouragingly.

"But, will it help me?" the lady - who I was told, 23, and worked for a famous BPO - asked me.

I had already spent about ten minutes with her on the phone. I had asked her as to what exactly had prompted her to think about doing this programme. I, always do that with any one who enquires with me about the programme... Many a times, they think of doing the programme because of of embarrassment they encounter somewhere, or it could be due to the negative feedback from their bosses at the workplace... or it could be a nagging feeling of inferiority that consumes their mind... I, always, go into that. And, I have found that it helps them immensely to see the problem in right perspective.

So, when this young lady asked me sincerely - "Will it help me?", I was quick to respond, "It will."

There was a bit of hesitation. The lady was keen to do the two-months course. She hoped to conquer her 'blues' by completing this course. She was apprehensive about the reading material which I was offering her all free, and with all my enthusiasm. She was hoping to become self-confident on completing the course. She kept asking, "But, will it help me?"

I had come out of my class to talk to this stranger woman. I hadn't met her. I could have asked her to call me later. I could have told her "Sorry ma'am, we have no programmes happening presently. Please get in touch with us just before the next summer." Still, I was trying to help her in whatever way now possible for me... And, I was absolutely sure, if a person wanted to overcome a problem, then every little thing in that direction helped. In fact, the problem gets solved in bits and pieces... One has to take those 'baby steps' - the small steps, that too, one step at a time. I knew from my experience, that all these baby steps are helpful to stand tall one day.

But, when the lady on the phone hoped to stand tall by doing the two months course only, I knew that she was trying to escape from her problems. She was not honest as far as her desire to overcome her problem was concerned. If she was, she would have taken that first, little step...

"Ma'am, I have spoken to you for more than ten minutes, now. We haven't met before; we are strangers. Still, I have come out of my class to talk to you... and, here I am, trying to provide my inputs... Is it not helping you?" I asked the young lady on the other side.

"Oh yes, it does, sir," the woman was spontaneous in her answer.

"Then, please trust me. Every little step that you take to beat your blues is the right step. They are the scattered pieces of a puzzle called Life. You have no option but to put them together," I dramatised a little.

The silence was profound.

The next day, the young lady came over. I handed her some books and spent another fifteen minutes talking over the issues that burdened her. She looked quite relieved and grateful. "Thank you sir, for every thing," she said as she began to leave. "It will certainly help me... I know now."


GERALD D'CUNHA

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MUTHU KODI KAWARI HADA

"HAPPILY EVER AFTER IS NOT A FAIRY-TALE... IT IS A CHOICE"

SELLING MIRRORS IN THE CITY OF THE BLIND

THE WILD, WAYSIDE FLOWERS
There is, always, something extra-ordinary in the wild, wayside flowers...