THE GENERATION GAP














“We didn’t have generation gap; we had a generation Grand Canyon!”

- Mary Brave Bird
:


I called up a friend of mine, yesterday, to wish him on his 49th birthday. This friend loves to enjoy life to the fullest – good food, good drinks, good friends and all that keeps him young.

“So, 49 Not Out?” I teased him, “my wife and I will be watching ‘102 Not Out’, today.”

“That must be a good movie,” my friend exclaimed, “Do tell me how you liked it.”

“Did you watch any movie, lately?” I asked my friend.

“Don’t ask me that!” my friend quickly said.

“Why, what happened?” I was curious.

“My kids ‘forced’ me to take them to watch ‘Avengers: Infinity War’,” my friend said, “I slept through the entire movie!”

I laughed loudly!

 “For once I was convinced, that the generation gap actually exists,” my friend concluded.





Exactly two years ago, one late night, my wife and I wanted to watch the Marathi blockbuster ‘Sairat’ at a multiplex in Raghuleela Mall, Vashi. The movie was running houseful even after several weeks. That night, too, we were disappointed as the show was sold out. We did not want to come back without watching a movie. So, instinctively I bought the tickets for ‘Captain America: Civil War’ and rushed into the theatre…

“What is the movie all about?” my wife kept asking me, whole we were rushing…

“I don’t know,” I pacified her, “must be about American civil war… Rush… Rush! “

By the time we occupied our seats, one-fourth of the movie was already over… People – mostly young crowd - were cheering and ecstatic… and, my wife and I did not know, till the end, what was going on!

“You said it was about American civil war, right?” my wife was very angry with me…


The night, somehow, passed…

The next day, when our young son learnt about our misadventure, he had a good time, at our expense!






This was the reason why I laughed loudly, yesterday, when my friend narrated to me his own experience while watching the ‘Avengers: Infinity War’.

A couple of days ago, knowing well how she would react, I had asked my wife, “Do you want to watch ‘Avengers’?

I did not wait for my wife’s response!

Thus, both of us decided to watch ‘102 Not Out’, last noon. We both loved it, and I am going to tell to my friend, too, about it…

However, I am going to caution my friend: “Buddy, don’t take your young ones along… They may sleep through the entire movie.”

But, it’s a good movie, just as the Avengers movies are, you see!






Yes, I agree with my friend, that the generation gap does exist. But, Mary Brave Bird put it in a grand way when she said, “We didn’t have generation gap; we had a generation Grand Canyon!”


GERALD D’CUNHA

Pic.: Internet
Videos: YouTube

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MUTHU KODI KAWARI HADA

"HAPPILY EVER AFTER IS NOT A FAIRY-TALE... IT IS A CHOICE"

SELLING MIRRORS IN THE CITY OF THE BLIND

THE WILD, WAYSIDE FLOWERS
There is, always, something extra-ordinary in the wild, wayside flowers...