RUNNING FOR LIFE

 




“In my stories, you will meet with underdogs and fighters.

You will experience hunger and desire.”

Avijeet Das


I just concluded, two days ago, a well-designed programme for the degree students of a Mumbai suburban-college. These young kids hailed from ordinary families. Most of them lacked self-confidence and communication skills. There is a great sense of satisfaction and joy when you reach out to this section of the students… They realize the value of this programme and, invariably, approach it with earnestness.

Our training team at MINDFLEX consisted of five trainers. I handled the one which is close to my heart – ‘Self-confidence and Communication Skills’.

During this programme, I tell many inspiring stories. I keep two of them towards the end… ‘Poorna’ and ‘The Cheetah’. Both these stories leave a tremendous impact on the young minds. I have shared these stories several times in my Blogs before. Nevertheless, I wish to share ‘The Cheeta’ today, once again…

 

THE CHEETAH



Once, in a jungle, a Cheetah was teaching his son the art of hunting. As the training session was on, they smelt a prey at some distance... It was a deer.

“Son, listen,” the Cheetah whispered to his cub, “a deer is on our way… Watch me how I hunt, okay?”

“Okay dad,” said the little-one, excited.

Then, the father and the son hid behind a large bush, where they waited holding their breath. And, as the deer was about to cross their way, the Cheetah, the seasoned hunter, leapt from behind the bush and tried to grab the delicate deer. But, the deer escaped... The chase began...

The faster the Cheetah ran, even faster the deer did... till the dear disappeared completely from the sight of Cheetah...

The Cheetah, finally, returned to his son and collapsed, completely exhausted...

Looking at his father’s plight, the little one remarked, “Dad you lost and the deer won.”

The father pulled his innocent son close to his bosoms, and gently caressing the soft head, said, “Yes my son, I lost and the deer won.”

Then, with a warmth-filled sparkle in his eyes, the father asked his son, “Do you want to know why?”

“Yes dad,” the son replied, curiously...

“Son, I lost and the deer won,” the father explained to his young cub, “because, I was running for my ‘lunch’... and the deer was running for its ‘life’...

And, as the little son was still absorbing the essence of this priceless lesson, the caring father concluded, “And, son, that made all the difference between winning and losing!”

Incidentally, yesterday, while watching the images of our Prime Minister releasing some eight African Cheetahs, I found myself smiling… I have been telling the story of Cheetah and his cub for nearly fifteen years. I first heard it from my dear friend and fellow-trainer, Dr. Deepak, in one of the Dawn Club certification programmes. He was inspiring the outgoing young cubs with this powerful story… “Don’t just run for your ‘lunch’… run for your ‘life’!

What a powerful lesson!

The story had inspired me to put together a motivational book, by the very title – ‘The Cheetah’. It was in 2007. As I said, ever since then, I have recounted this story, dramatizing it, countless number of  times… I have seen how it moves students who come from ordinary homes… like the ones I had just reached out to during the last few days. They are the underdogs… Running for ‘lunch’ is simply not enough for them… They need to run for ‘life’… Yes, faster than the fastest animal in this vast jungle!

I was, also, smiling for another reason. It was the first time I learn about the fact, that Cheetahs have been extinct in our country for decades! Jab jaago tab sabera!        





Now that the Cheetahs have come back. I hope the deer – the underdogs – become alert and agile… They will have a strong reason why they need to run faster than the Cheetahs!

 

GERALD D’CUNHA

Pic's.: pixabay

Video: The Rocky Guy

 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MUTHU KODI KAWARI HADA

"HAPPILY EVER AFTER IS NOT A FAIRY-TALE... IT IS A CHOICE"

SELLING MIRRORS IN THE CITY OF THE BLIND

THE WILD, WAYSIDE FLOWERS
There is, always, something extra-ordinary in the wild, wayside flowers...