HOW'S AMRITA DOING?

 



“Start with a ‘Yes’, and see where that takes you.”

Tina Fey

 


What excites me may not excite you, and what excites you may not excite me. But, in life, we all are excited by some things or the other.

Let me apply this excitement factor in a student’s life. As a teacher, I get to interact with students who just walk into their first-year junior college, and, those who are in their final-year degree college. Typically, a Commerce student has six subjects to focus on. After weeks and months of teaching, I ask my students this question: “Do you love this subject.”

It is interesting to find the answer… ‘Yes’ and ‘No’ are like black and white – the two extremes.

The depth of ‘Yes’ matters a lot… Especially, for students.

“The day you say ‘Yes, I do’, you start finding a career out of this subject,” I remind my students, “The early that happens, the better for you.”

“Catch them young,” it is said. So, the best time to give that career advice is when they are just embarking upon their junior-college studies… When they are in their final-year degree, it is difficult to shape the tree… though, in life, it is never too late to embark upon any exciting journey… It is only desirable to discover it as early as possible…





“Sir, how is Amrita doing?... Her Dad checked with me, a while ago.

“Do you love this subject, Amrita?” I had asked her at the end of the class, this morning.

On hearing Amrita’s ‘Yes’, I had spent the next few minutes telling her and the group about the importance of saying ‘Yes’. “You may not be able to love all your subjects; but some, you must,” I had told them, “Else, it will be difficult for you to find an exciting career.”

Presently, the poster in my classroom says the same thing: “Do what you love, and love what you do.”

The young ones have to constantly keep asking themselves: “Am I doing what I love?” If the answer they get is an emphatic “No”, then, they should figure out what else they love doing. And, for whatever reason, if they can’t take up something else, then, they should learn to love what they are doing…

“Do what you love” … and, if you can’t, love what you do.”

Well, what if you can’t do both?

They say, “If you don’t know where you are going, any road will take you ‘there’” …

The only question is: “Where?”

And, this: “Do you feel excited about going ‘there’?”





“A dishonest ‘Yes’ is a ‘No’ to yourself,” says Byron Katie…

Think…

 

GERALD D’CUNHA


Pic’s: Pixabay 1. tekhnika 2. josealbafotos

 

Video: Steve Levi

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MUTHU KODI KAWARI HADA

"HAPPILY EVER AFTER IS NOT A FAIRY-TALE... IT IS A CHOICE"

SELLING MIRRORS IN THE CITY OF THE BLIND

THE WILD, WAYSIDE FLOWERS
There is, always, something extra-ordinary in the wild, wayside flowers...