VIJAYI BHAVA

 



“My feelings are too loud for words

and too shy for the world.”

Dejan Stojanovic

 

“Deep rivers run quiet.” Have you heard this statement?

Well, let me tell you this: It’s not about rivers, it’s about many of us here on land – who are desperately shy…

I was, I am and I will be one such deep river, always. Not because I want myself to be one… But, because, I have done everything humanly possible to overthrow this shyness from me… The more I have done that - like the cats my grandma wanted to do away with, in our village, while I was a little by – it has only come back… Perhaps, my shyness loves me more than I hate her!

Jokes apart, shyness is something I had to struggle with as a young boy. As a young man, and as a 65-year-old, now – well, I still do; but, I am not bogged down by it, anymore…

“Let the shyness be,” I now say, “It’s what makes me complete… beautiful”

Our lack of understanding about our shyness can cause havoc inside and outside us. No matter how desperately we may try to tell a Touch-me-not plant not to feel shy, it simply does. So, if we have the understanding to realize, that in the kingdom of plants, there is one unique species called “Touch-me-not’, why don’t we embrace the simple understanding, that in the kingdom of humans, there is one unique species called – ‘Shy Humans’?

Therefore, I say, that shyness is ugly and harmful only if we lack the understanding. When understood, and celebrated, it can bring the best out of us…

I look back and ask myself, “Why did I want to teach, train and write?” The answer is clear: I did not want my shyness to ‘suppress’ my best side, my goodness. So, I chose teaching, training and writing as the medium of my expression. In the process, I let my shyness be… It neither turned ugly, nor harmful… It turned beautiful, and very, very useful!

I, also, have realized, that shy people are a highly misunderstood lot. Often, they are branded as cold, indifferent and, even, arrogant. No Sir, they are not. I can vouch for it… They need to be understood; even more: they need to understand themselves…





A few months ago, a dear family friend requested me to teach Vijay, who was in twelfth standard. She said, “He is the son of one of my staff… The boy is very earnest, committed and hardworking. But, due to shyness, he is unable to express himself. Hope you will be able to understand him better and help him channelize his shy energy into something productive.”

Almost two months now, Vijay seems to enjoy the subject I am teaching… He is very soft-spoken… I have to nudge him to speak a little louder, and a little clearer everyday…

Frustrating? No, not at all… Some said, and some still say, that to me, too: “Speak a little louder, and a little clearer.”

So, Vijay is perfectly fine…

Two days ago, when he was unable to attend one of my sessions, Vijay sent this 'leave note' on WhatsApp:

Dear Sir,

I hope this message finds you well. I am writing to express my sincere apologies for not being able to attend class today.

Unfortunately, I have a prior commitment to attend an event that I cannot reschedule. I understand the importance of attending class regularly and do not take it lightly. Missing today’s class was not my intention and I am aware that I may have missed valuable information.

Sir, I assure you that I will complete what I have miss today, and will not let you down.

Yours sincerely,

VIJAY.


I remembered the reaction of the interviewer in the film ‘3-Idiots’ to Raju Rastogi… “For 25 years, I have been doing recruitments, conducted so many interviews… Tum kahan se aye ho, yaar?”

Yes, unable to stop my heart from smiling, I felt like reacting to Vijay, “Honey, for more than 45 years, I have been teaching kids like you…. Tum kahan se aye ho?”



(Click on YouTube)


And, last night, after reading my latest Blog, he had messaged me, this way:

“I thoroughly enjoyed reading your blog, Sir. Your writing style is engaging and clear, making complex topics easy to understand, I will also apply this blog in my life, saying – ‘YES’!” 





I had shared that Blog – ‘How’s Amrita Doing?’ - with every student who is presently learning under me in my classes. Only two had responded... One was Amrita, and the other was my Vijay…

So much for our shyness!


GERALD D’CUNHA

Pic’s: Pixabay 1. www;benjharrison.net 2. SanchitaSarker

                      3. www.vectorstock.com

Video: Filmy Duniya

Comments

VIJAY said…
Dear Sir,

I wanted to take a moment to express my deepest gratitude for the blog you wrote for me and for the invaluable life lessons you've shared with me. Your words not only touched my heart but also left a lasting impact on my perspective and understanding of life.

Thank you Sir for appreciating me.
And your blog made me feel precious.

Popular posts from this blog

MUTHU KODI KAWARI HADA

"HAPPILY EVER AFTER IS NOT A FAIRY-TALE... IT IS A CHOICE"

SELLING MIRRORS IN THE CITY OF THE BLIND

THE WILD, WAYSIDE FLOWERS
There is, always, something extra-ordinary in the wild, wayside flowers...