SILENCE OF THE SWING

 



“I think, violence has always been popular,

way before movies started being made.”

Norman Reedus

 

Norman Reedus said it right… Violence has, always, been there since Kane and Abel existed… And, it has been described graphically in our Holy Books, even. Movies came just a century ago; maybe, a litter earlier than that. So, whether there should be violence – more of it, less of it, or nothing of it at all – well, it doesn’t really matter. Violence is there in our blood… I have it, you have it, and we all have it. Period.

What is evident is this: Most of us don’t like to display our violence publicly. So, we like to see it being displayed on movie screens and like to watch it in the darkness of the cinema halls.

I have liked to watch very intense scenes involving violence in all good movies. But, not when violence is shown for the sake of violence. The mindless or meaningless violence puts me off. Even if millions hail it as ‘great action sequence’, I simply cannot bear it. The action in the latest SRK-starrer ‘Jawan’ repelled me... I found it excessive, over-the-top. But, then, who cares for my opinion… What seems to matter is how many crores the movie makes at the Box Office…





And, as far as the argument, that violent movies have a negative impact on the young minds – or even adult minds – goes, I think, that argument doesn’t hold any water. As I said, violence is very much there in our DNA; and, hence, movies are not required to do any contribution…

If I don’t like mindless violence in movies, I should simply stay away from watching such movies. On the other hand, If I like 'meaningful violence', I must go and watch such movies, even repeatedly…

Yes, the way I have done – ‘Deewar’, ‘Sholay’, ‘Satya’, ‘Ardh Satya’… ‘God Father’, ‘The Untouchables’ – and a dozen more. I have watched these movies multiple times…

But, I will stay away from a movie like ‘Animal’…

“One man’s food is another man’s poison.” Fair enough… May that be so. I have no argument to make with anyone… There is already enough of ‘restlessness’ within, you see…

Let my ‘Animal’ stay within its leash…








GERALD D’CUNHA

Pic’s: 1. www.hindustantimes.com

Videos: 1. NH Studioz  2. That SceneFrom.Com

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MUTHU KODI KAWARI HADA

"HAPPILY EVER AFTER IS NOT A FAIRY-TALE... IT IS A CHOICE"

SELLING MIRRORS IN THE CITY OF THE BLIND

THE WILD, WAYSIDE FLOWERS
There is, always, something extra-ordinary in the wild, wayside flowers...