SUNSHINE ON MY SHOULDERS

 



“If I had a day that I could give you,

I’d give to you a day just like today;

if I had a song that I could sing for you,

I’d sing a song to make you feel this way.”

From the song ‘Sunshine on My Shoulders’ by John Denver


 

As I am writing this Post, I can hear the beautiful Christmas songs from my friend Lancy’s windows. He lives just above our flat… and, Christmas, at their place, begins as December begins. My heart smiles and sings, “Honey, that’s how it should be” …

Christmas has already come… This day… with this morning’s sunshine…

This morning, my younger brother, Vivek, shared this touching video…




 

The message is the same… “Honey, Christmas has come… Feel the sunshine on your shoulders.”

And, there was, also, this early-morning message from my sister-in-law, Merlyn (My elder brother Franklin’s wife), sharing the news about the demise of her uncle, Mr. Willam (Willie) Castelino…






“My uncle passed away yesterday in Kent; some 40 days short of his 105th birthday. I had attended his 100th birthday. My brother Ivor and his wife Linet were to leave to UK on 12th December for the 105th birthday celebration. But, God’s plans are different.”

My instant reply was this:

“Dear Merlyn, uncle lived a remarkable life. So many generations have come and gone during these 105 eventful years. His soul undoubtedly rests in peace. Please accept our deepest condolences.”

In fact, Mr. Willie Castelino was like a grand uncle for Merlyn. But, even Merlyn’s children, nephews and nieces - all of them call him ‘Uncle’…

After watching the video shared by my brother, Vivek, I had replied to him:

“Too good, too touching, dear Viva… Remembered Mai.”

Mai is our own mother, Celine D’Cunha. She lives in our hometown, Mangalore. This July, she completed her 88 years. For last two years, her life has been restricted to her bed, wheelchair and the dining table. But, even this little movement has been possible only because of the exceptional love, care, patience and commitment shown by Franklin and Merlyn. Our mother doesn’t remember anyone or anything… She needs to be fed… A morsel of food and a sip of water take ‘eternity’! One who does such kind of care, knows why I have used the term ‘eternity’…

Our mother lived all her life just ‘giving’… Her life has been a life of extra-ordinary patience, love, care and commitment. Thus, when we see how Franklin and Merlyn are reciprocating it with similar love, care, patience and commitment to Mai… we can unmistakably see how what had gone around is coming around…

I hadn’t met Merlyn’s 'grand uncle', Willie. But, I can imagine how well he must’ve lived those 105 years. Unlike our mother, he was quite active, alert and agile… He must’ve been a grateful and optimistic soul… He must’ve not kept any regrets, complaints, resentments, and guilts as he lived those long innings… Above all, he must’ve never given up his childlike wonder about life… that priceless sunshine on his shoulders…





Happy B'day and Merry Christmas in advance, dear uncle… We will remember you when we see the Christmas Star…

Love from Mai, too…

 

GERALD D’CUNHA

 

Pic’s: 1. Pixabay 2. Castelino Family

 

Videos: 1. Cheverlot 2. John Denver/alexandre gianola

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MUTHU KODI KAWARI HADA

"HAPPILY EVER AFTER IS NOT A FAIRY-TALE... IT IS A CHOICE"

SELLING MIRRORS IN THE CITY OF THE BLIND

THE WILD, WAYSIDE FLOWERS
There is, always, something extra-ordinary in the wild, wayside flowers...