THE WHITE TEA CUP




“The great thing about social media is

that it gives everyone a voice.

But, the trouble is, it’s, often, a very loud voice.”

-     Mark Zuckerberg


While in college, I remember going to a particular restaurant (in my hometown, Mangalore) to enjoy the tea served there in the white cups. Somehow, that memory has stayed etched in my mind even after fifty years. I think, like this, each one of us has some soft memory spots…

Here in Mumbai, after my Sunday Tai Chi session, a friend of mine and I go for a simple cup of tea served in those white cups… Ah, that simple pleasure… those quiet old memories… and, above all, the peace in being anonymous in, otherwise, noisy world around!

This morning, I was amused to see a young man capturing his chai moment for his social media status. As I knew him and was connected with him on social media, I smiled when I saw his broadcast soon: “What a delight!”

While I am no one to judge this young man –- or any of those who post from their gym, dance and yoga classes, or kitchens -– I really wonder: how tough it’s for all of us to do things quietly… Like, when I visit a shrine, or grandparents’ place… is it possible for us to keep the ‘simple joy’ confined to our hearts? Is it necessary for us to broadcast?

Well, to each his own… If someone gets a great joy by broadcasting his cuppa, so be it… I am no one to judge him

Some days ago, when I had visited my hometown, I visited an old friend of mine with whom I shared literary interest. His wife was quite popular on YouTube and other social media with her Mangalorean culinary. But, of late, she had stopped being visible on YouTube or any social media platform.

“What happened?” I asked her.

“I was feeling lost in the crowd,” she replied without even blinking.

I had no further question to my friend’s wife…





On our way back, after our morning cuppa, my friend was telling me this: “There is a thin like between desire and greed.”

I didn’t say anything. Instead, I let my friend’s words settle well in my heart… quietly.

After all, it’s an age-old truth… By disputing it, or by adding or deducting, I would only ruin an opportunity to grow a little, and stay tuned to my core values…

The white tea cup… Let it not get lost in the crowd, in the loud noise…

 




GERALD D’CUNHA

 

Pic.: 1. Pixabay/Lupooo  2. AveCalvar

Video: Solo Hands

 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

BUT, NOT INTO EACH OTHER'S KEEPING...

THE SPANISH DANCE

THEY NEED SUN, NOT TOO MUCH SHADE

THE WILD, WAYSIDE FLOWERS
There is, always, something extra-ordinary in the wild, wayside flowers...