The CRAP

Some days back, I saw a Hindi movie, and returned highly disappointed. I was grumbling all the way home. Ironically, I had ‘chosen’ to watch this movie; no one had forced me to watch it. Moreover, I had decided to watch it, because, I wanted to unwind myself, recharge my batteries.
But, here I was – with a fresh load of stress … being let down, being disappointed!

The next morning, I was having a discussion with my friend, Mukesh, in my office, and the topic of the movie came up. “It’s a complete crap,” I commented, instinctively. Perhaps, to vent out my frustration, to unburden my load.

Mukesh hadn’t seen that movie. So, he responded to my comment with this story:

Once, a disciple went to his Master with a ‘gurudhakshina’ – an offering to one’s Guru. This disciple had completed the study under his Master, and was confident that there was nothing more to learn. So, he had gone to express his gratitude to his Master with the offering – some valuable things.

When the Master saw his disciple with expensive gifts, he said, “My son, I would rather be pleased, if you could offer me some dry leaves.”

The disciple was surprised to hear this. “Of all the things in the world, my Master is asking for dry leaves!” he thought aloud, “What are they worth? What he wants them for?”

Nevertheless, now, the Master had expressed his wish, and there was no other way the disciple could think of to please his Master, and express his love and gratitude. So, he went to the nearest village to fetch some dry leaves. Soon, he could collect a bag full of dry leaves. He was quite happy, thinking about the fact that he was now able to please his Master. Just then, a villager saw him and asked, “You seem to be a stranger here. What is that your are carrying in your bag, from this village?”

“Just some dry leaves to offer to my Master,” the disciple replied.

“No, No. You cannot take them from here; they are very valuable to us,” reacted the villager. “We need them for fire – to cook our food, to warm our bodies, and to drive away the wild animals,” he added.

The disciple immediately emptied his bag, and moved toward another village in search of dry leaves. Here, too, he was able to collect a bag full of dry leaves. But, the same scene repeated. On his way back, the disciple encountered a villager, who said similar things, “You know, my friend, those dry leaves are very precious for us ... We use them as manure for our fields; they feed our crops, and the crops, in return, feed us. Please leave them behind.”

The disciple had no choice but to leave them behind. He tried his luck in one more village; but, the same-old scene repeated. Finally, he went back to his Master, empty-handed, and stood there -- heart-broken, and crest-fallen.

Seeing the plight of his disciple, the Master commented, “Now, my son, your study is completed. Come, bring to me the offering that you intended to make … I’ll accept it now.”

Mukesh did not inform me why he was telling me this story. Probably, he wanted me to extract something out of it, something out of those ‘dry leaves’.

I did.

Even ‘the crap things’ can be of value to us, if we can be less judgmental, about them … If we would view them with our ‘soft eyes’.

My wife had liked the movie, immensely!

Love,
GERALD D’CUNHA

P.S.: If you find this stuff all crap, or even an old hat, no problem. Please let me know. Even the so called ‘crap responses’ are of value, you see. Of course, I promise you that I shall read them less judgmentally, with my ‘soft eyes’!

Comments

Manjeet Singh said…
Gerry Sir, I am delighted that you started the blog with a story. Sir, you know that stories are next to my heart. Maybe, some more stories are possible if you watch another movie. And it will be an expensive gift by the master. Anyway, I am grateful for the first story that was splendidly woven.
Gerald D'Cunha said…
Hi Manjeet Sir,
thanks for ur ncouraging feedback.I must tell u, that I learnt to weave stories from u; It's u who taught me what a stupendous weapon they are!
I promise u to see a hundred movies a day!
LIFE, this amazing maze, is a multiplex with a billion gigantic screens!
Pl keep posting ur valuable comments.
Love, GERALD D'CUNHA
Sundar said…
so gerry , welcometo blogosphere...one man's crap is another man's nectar...why bother..just live...
Tess said…
hello sir!it must be great to possess an outlook such as yours own wherein every mundane incident can be transformed into a fanciful fable.thankyou for giving me this link.will look forward to reading your latest posts.
Gerald D'Cunha said…
Yes Sundar, at last, this donkey has started to drink ...to blog i.e.
You had dragged me to the pond 2 yrs back; the thirst is felt now!
Thanks in deed!
Sundar,U r right...'One man's crap can be another man's nectar!'
'...Just live'
Wow! What a bomb!
Hope, it'll soon explode in me.
Thanks again.
Gerald D'Cunha said…
Thanks Tess for your enchanting words. You always express like that!
Keep it up!
I have recognised this strength of mine: of making a lemonade out the lemon given to me.
You know Tess Success is all about discovering our true selves. May be, what I am doing is this.
Keep posting your lovely comments.
Love, Gerry.
Girish Dhameja said…
Reading the story only one things come to my mind Mr D'cunha, The best.
Girish Dhameja said…
Ashes might be not useful always but PHOENIX ALWAYS RISES FROM ASHES. Good begining for blog Mr D'cunha.
Gerald D'Cunha said…
Hi Girish, thanks for the feedback.
The 'best'is yet to come, you see; or as they say,"Let's keep the 'best' for the last. Till then, let's stretch our necks out. Probably, it may help us to rise from our 'ashes', like the legendary Poenix did!
Love,GERRY.
Unknown said…
thanks for the crap,it would be always handy. its true in many walks of life.
Gerald D'Cunha said…
Hi, shall I address u as Mr. or Ms. Trust?
Trust me, it feels good when even a 'Trust" comes to life to wish u!
True, as u have observed, we need to pick up so many 'crap things' along ur journey ...Yes,they come very handy, as u said.
Thanks. Love, GERRY.
mukeshclasses said…
hi sir
Every one has a third eye at times
u have shown by understandig and appreciating but some may not have at that moment so our job is try to keep our third eye open as much as possible
what is a third eye?
How about first two?
Can we close them?
thank u
Gerald D'Cunha said…
Hi Mukesh, thanks a lot for your insights. I love the way you ignight those 'sparks'.
'The third eye'--It's a lovely phrase!Yes, when u come next time, it will help me to spin one more yarn!
Love, GERRY.
Sundar said…
the ego performs for the world around..life just lives...so said osho....
what about further blogging?
Savita said…
Sir great to read your crap and get inspired like always.Keep motivating the world.Waiting to read more craps.
Anonymous said…
Sir,
the crap is wonderful. your talks and notes, have brought back the zest in me which I feel somewhere I had lost in my tensful world.... Thank you
kiran.
Gerald D'Cunha said…
Hey Savita, failed to respond to ur lovely comment. Thanks for the encouragement. Keep in touch.
Love.
GERRY
Gerald D'Cunha said…
Hey Kiran, good to hear from u. I couldn't reply earlier. sorry.
Keep the fire of zest burning ... come what may.
Life is beautiful in all its hues ... tension is one of them.
Keep in touch.
Love,
GERRY

Popular posts from this blog

MUTHU KODI KAWARI HADA

"HAPPILY EVER AFTER IS NOT A FAIRY-TALE... IT IS A CHOICE"

SELLING MIRRORS IN THE CITY OF THE BLIND

THE WILD, WAYSIDE FLOWERS
There is, always, something extra-ordinary in the wild, wayside flowers...