LOVE NEEDS TO BE MADE LIKE A BREAD




















“Love doesn’t just sit there like a stone;
it has to be made like a bread,
remade all the time, made new.”

Ursula K Le Guin, The Lathe of Heaven


“Emotional blackmail! Parenting is something, I feel, I am failing! We keep telling her to do things she is not keen doing… I can’t engage her in books… I can’t take responsibility of a dog, the only thing she is asking for since ages! What to do, my teacher?”

This was the daily frustration of a typical parent. She has two little girls… One of them (age ten) has brought the mother, once my student and now a friend who lives abroad, express her frustration here.

Now, I have had a ‘longer experience’ as a parent compared to this student/friend of mine. So, the temptation was to give her some ready gyan on what to do and what not to do… Whether she should gift a dog to her little one or not.

The reality was this… My gyan was of no use for my friend to deal with her daily situation as a parent… So, I wrote to her this:

“Wish your teacher had a ready answer! “Growing up’, it’s called. Nobody prepared us for the parenting role as well as that of a spouse. So repeatedly one feels clueless and even like a failure in these roles. And, I think, this is almost everyone’s story. Incidentally, today is our 29th wedding anniversary. Just as you feel, I, too, ‘feel like a failure’, both as a spouse and a parent! But, then, I know it’s a familiar feeling – a continuously fleeting one – for most of us; and, yes, it’s a reliving feeling, too.”

Whether one would admit it or not, my friend and I felt connected through our imperfections. “Expectations we have so many, na?” my friend wondered, “In life we get pulled in every direction. These are moments when you feel things are not going the way you would like them to… Looks like we all are sailing in the same boat.”

Yes, we all ‘are’ sailing in the same boat.  I added: “Maybe that’s what makes Life and relationships worth striving for… How we behave under pulls and pressures determines the quality of our life. It’s a fragile glass… and so be it.”







Wine, they say, matures with time. But, one doesn’t simply leave wine at the mercy of time. The same is the case with Love... As Ursula K Le Guin says, “It needs to be made like a bread; remade all the time, made new!”

Have we ‘failed’, then? No… Not if we are constantly remaking it, anew!



GERALD D’CUNHA

Pic.: Madan Manik

Video: John Denver/Karen Hopr Shareton

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MUTHU KODI KAWARI HADA

"HAPPILY EVER AFTER IS NOT A FAIRY-TALE... IT IS A CHOICE"

SELLING MIRRORS IN THE CITY OF THE BLIND

THE WILD, WAYSIDE FLOWERS
There is, always, something extra-ordinary in the wild, wayside flowers...