VERONICA'S VEIL
















“Hate is not the opposite of love; apathy is.”

Rollo May

A couple of days ago, when I had blogged on the plight of migrant workers – particularly those who were mowed down on the railway tracks in Aurangabad, a dear friend of mine had said this in her comment: “In case we can be of help together in any way, let me know… Lockdown will continue for quite some time… I am sure, we can contribute somewhere, somehow. Helplessness, perhaps, is one of the worst feelings ever… And this news made me feel so helpless!”

Ever since the lockdown was announced, I haven’t stepped out of the door… Should I dramatize through our PM’s analogy – 'I haven’t crossed the Laxman Rekha’!

Why is that?

Well, I may try to get some sympathy, citing my recent brush with Cancer and kidney issues. But, the truth is this: I am privileged to be inside my house for all this lockdown period… I have my wife and young son to ensure, that I, along with my aged and ailing in-laws, are ‘safe’.

What if, I did not have that privilege?

Today, we heard about another twenty-four migrants being crushed to death, when the trucks carrying them collided in UP… They, too, didn’t reach their homes!

It’s truly heart-breaking! I know, you and I cannot do much to these unfortunate fellow-citizens of our country… Many Good Samaritans are there, out in the open, doing their bit… offering some food, biscuits, water, some succor in their motors, or some footwear to protect their feet from burning… whatever.

But, how can a citizen like me – who has this privilege of not stepping out of his door for the entire lockdown period – help these unfortunate fellow-humans?

My friend said in her comment, “Helplessness, perhaps, is one of the worst feelings ever.”

Looking other way, burying my face in the sand – and pretending to have seen nothing at all… No Sir, it’s just not possible for us. These hearts are not made of stone, and this mind is made of fragile feelings!

To my friend, who had wondered if we could do something, somehow, together, I had replied:

“It may sound very naive; but, our most sincere and compassionate thoughts in this regard, coupled with a quiet prayer, are the immediate things you and I can do. There is a Higher Power… Let’s trust.”

Was I trying to escape by passing it on God?

God Himself – Jesus, the human – was left lonely through his traumatic way to Calvary… Nobody else could carry His cross. Perhaps, a bystander like Simon of Cyrene might have taken it on his shoulders for a while. But, he was forced to do it, and that’s hardly enough. Perhaps, another stranger woman – Veronica - might have offered her veil (a piece of cloth used to cover her head) to Jesus to wipe His face off the blood, sweat and tears… Though that, too, was hardly enough, she did it out of her most sincere feelings…








And, I find solace in the fact, that Veronica, who offered Jesus her veil, did it out of her most sincere and compassionate thoughts towards His plight. I find this imagery very, very reassuring as, today, you and I feel helpless along these migrants’ way to Calvary!






True, you and I may not be able to do much. But, certainly, like Veronica, we may be able to offer them a piece of cloth – our most sincere thoughts and prayers. Perhaps, it may help them wipe their sweat, tears – and blood – off their face and feet…

O Father, please have mercy on them… and forgive us!



GERALD D’CUNHA

Pic.: 1.the print.in 2. www'india.com

Video: Fredy Solace


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MUTHU KODI KAWARI HADA

"HAPPILY EVER AFTER IS NOT A FAIRY-TALE... IT IS A CHOICE"

SELLING MIRRORS IN THE CITY OF THE BLIND

THE WILD, WAYSIDE FLOWERS
There is, always, something extra-ordinary in the wild, wayside flowers...