THE HERD IMMUNITY




“Education is what remains after one has forgotten
what one has learnt in the school.”

Albert Einstein

Many years ago, I was in a doctor’s cabin. He was also my very good friend. After completing examination and handing me the prescription, he began to chat with me on general subjects. It was a warm and personal discussion, which both of us were enjoying. But, as there were several patients outside, waiting for their turn, I began to feel a bit restless, and even guilty. “Doctor, I am feeling bad… There are so many patients waiting outside.”

“You don’t have to feel bad,” my doctor-friend said a bit sternly, “That’s why they are called ‘Patients’… They have to wait patiently!”

Well, nobody heard that from outside the cabin… I quietly slipped out from there once, I was released. But, my guilt hasn’t still left me!

Patients are called ‘patients’, because they have to wait… Wait patiently! Even though it’s a bitter pill to swallow, it’s true elsewhere in life, too!

Now, let me apply it to my own profession - teaching. I teach the subjects like Accountancy, Costing and Taxation. Just as in the case of Mathematics, these subjects have practical sums. And, while teaching, the sums become harder and harder as we progress. And, as always, we get to see two kinds of students: those who like to take up the challenge… think, explore and grow, and those who just want ready-made solutions… no thinking, exploring and growing, just some quick-fix, instant solutions. Whenever this second kind challenge my patience, I yell at them sternly, just as my doctor-friend would do: “That’s why they are called ‘Problems’… You have to solve them, by thinking and exploring… You only grow through such path.”

But, you know how it’s when students choose the shortest path to glory!

For past one week, I and a small group of my twelfth-standard students (CBSE/ISC) are in a deadlock. I have been teaching them a certain chapter, and, after solving plenty of ‘sums’, I have given them a sum which involves their thinking, exploring and, above all, their heart. But, all my nudging and pumping don’t seem to be effective, so far… “Sweethearts, that’s why they are called ‘Problems’” I tell them sternly, “You have to solve them… Think, explore and grow… Do whatever.”

But, they are waiting for a ready-made solution from me…

So much for learning… thinking, exploring and growing, you see.

The quick-fix is very attractive… It is not only ‘instant’… it sells, too!

One week is almost over… I have still not lost my hopes. “Sir, please send us the solution,” one of them messaged, this morning. I sent them these two videos, and wrote: “Here is the solution” …











The evening is almost over; I haven’t heard from my students...

Is this ‘Herd Immunity’? Just asking…



GERALD D’CUNHA

Pic.: www.lifeofpix.com

Videos: 1, Paisabazaar 2. Dare to Do Motivation


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MUTHU KODI KAWARI HADA

"HAPPILY EVER AFTER IS NOT A FAIRY-TALE... IT IS A CHOICE"

SELLING MIRRORS IN THE CITY OF THE BLIND

THE WILD, WAYSIDE FLOWERS
There is, always, something extra-ordinary in the wild, wayside flowers...