AND THE OSCAR GOES TO....






Did you ever know that you’re my hero?
You’re everything I wish I could be,
I could fly higher than an eagle,
‘cause you are the wind beneath my wings.”

From the song ‘Wind Beneath My Wings’ by Bette Midler


In the morning, today, I received a ‘surprise friend-request’ on FB… It was Danika, the young daughter of my cousin, Oscar Rebello and his wife Mavis. 

I said ‘surprise friend-request’, because, while Mavis has been on my FB friend-list for years (and would read my blogs regularly), Oscar found FB and other social-media platforms very superficial. He had told me, many times, that he believed in keeping personal touch, not virtual touch. That seems to be the only reason, why Oscar made it a point to keep in touch, by calling and visiting, with all his relatives, near and far, young and old alike. He has called my 85-year-old mom, who lives in our hometown, Mangalore, almost on every festival and special occasions, while, I may have skipped many times! 

Oscar, unlike me, was born and brought up here in Mumbai (Bombay). But, he treats Mangalore as his ‘hometown’ more than I do. So, he loves to take his wife, Mavis, and son Dane and daughter Danika, to their ‘Native Place’, and make people over there very happy!

Let me tell you this: Not everybody can be an Oscar… He believes in strong roots. And, that’s something we all, including our mother, have admired him for.
  
Mavis is a beautiful soul… very quiet, and very dignified. She has been the wind beneath Oscar’s wings… Taking care of the house, raising their two high-voltage kids from babies to adulthood. The choice she made, to be a ‘home-maker’, was a conscious one. Along with home, she also made strong-headed and soft-hearted people at home!

Oscar is a self-made man; as I said, powered by Mavis. I know how difficult it is to build a sound business and an amazing family simultaneously. Often, one of the two does suffer. There are too many rough moments along the voyage… But, Oscar and Mavis have sailed through them all…

And, tomorrow will be their 25th Wedding Anniversary!

“Uncle, we cannot have a celebration due to the lockdown,” wrote Danika in her FB private-message. “Dane and I are quietly compiling video messages from close relatives and friends of dad and mom. Please send a message from your family, too.”

Now, you know why I said Danika had sent a ‘surprise friend-request’!


What kind of message shall I send to Oscar and Mavis on their silver wedding day? I am not quite comfortable – rather convinced – by doing a ‘lip service’… Just as Oscar and Mavis would have felt it…

They believed in being authentic, honest and grounded… So do I, today.

They believed in inculcating in their children some very strong family values… So do I, today.

They believed in being self-made people… So do I, today.

Oscar, Mavis, Dane and Danika – yes, all of them believed in being less ‘flashy’ in life… So do I, today.

And, for that, I, on behalf of my family, say ‘Thank you’ to Oscar and Mavis, Dane and Danika…

‘The Oscar’, rightfully, goes to you guys!


I had planned to share five amazing videos in today’s blog… Just to emphasize on the power of emotions… Let’s call it the power of heart!

Maybe, I will settle for these three, instead… And, maybe - or may not be - they suit the occasion. But, my heart says, 'They do'… 'They do'!











Happy Silver Wedding dear Oscar and Mavis... Sail long, sail strong!


GERALD D’CUNHA

Pic.: www.pixels.com


Videos: 1. Paisabaazar 2. Rishabh Changra 3. nax bhadra


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MUTHU KODI KAWARI HADA

"HAPPILY EVER AFTER IS NOT A FAIRY-TALE... IT IS A CHOICE"

SELLING MIRRORS IN THE CITY OF THE BLIND

THE WILD, WAYSIDE FLOWERS
There is, always, something extra-ordinary in the wild, wayside flowers...