WHY CAN'T I LET THINGS JUST BE?

















“The suddenness made me realize how you are
just a cork floating in the ocean
with unpredictable currents!
And you are desperately trying to control it.”

Irrfan Khan


It’s almost a week now, and I haven’t scribbled a single word… And what a big deal? And who really cares?

The Sun, the Moon and the Stars went about their daily routine, so did all the birds in the sky and the fishes in the seas… Animals in the jungle followed their routine, and so did the clouds in the sky, leaves on the trees and the flowers in the garden…

It’s only the human race – to which I belong – seems to be obsessed with voicing its opinion – commenting, tweeting, reacting, trolling whatever you call it … Yes, it’s only animals like me that have this strange need to be visible, audible and circulated… lest we fade into oblivion, insignificance! How strange it is, even in times like these – when we are forced into our home confines, willy-nilly!

Yes, the need to be visible, audible and circulated is one of the strongest needs in me, too. I, too, fear fading into oblivion, insignificance… Out of sight is out of mind. So, I, too, want be sighted, heard and counted!

During this last one week, many of my close friends checked on me: “How’re you doing?” … “Is everything fine?” … “Hope all is well?” …

“Yes, all is well,” I replied to everyone, “Only a bit quieter!”



Why do I need to voice my opinion on every passing event around me? I feel sad and happy, high and low, strong and weak, jubilant and defeated, hopeful and depressed, compassionate and angry… I laugh and cry… I dream and wake up with nightmares… Yes, like everyone else does. But, why is this need to amplify about how I feel? Why can’t I let things just be? Why is this obsession to judge the colours of the evening sky?

All my life I worked on building my identity – my ‘presence’ on this planet… And, the idea of undoing it is just unfathomable… It’s scary!

But, that’s how it’s going to be to all of us – Irrfan Khans and Rishi Kapoors… What’s built here will be left here…

Then, why is this need to amplify – be visible, audible and circulated?






GERALD D’CUNHA

Pic.: Lahiru Supunchandra

Video: ATOGT GreatLakes

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MUTHU KODI KAWARI HADA

"HAPPILY EVER AFTER IS NOT A FAIRY-TALE... IT IS A CHOICE"

SELLING MIRRORS IN THE CITY OF THE BLIND

THE WILD, WAYSIDE FLOWERS
There is, always, something extra-ordinary in the wild, wayside flowers...