MUTHU KODI KAWARI HADA






Pic.; Ashwin Mohta

My Hindi was always bad. It still is. One reason for this was, that they introduced Hindi for us only in 6th standard. Or, was it in 8th? I don’t remember… I only remember struggling to write and read… leave alone speak!

But, I loved Hindi movies, and, strangely, I could understand the dialogues and the lyrics of the songs… I used to sing those songs (of course when no one was around me!) as if I was the lyricist… One of the songs was a very funny one. ‘Muthu Kodi Kawari Hada’. It was from Mehmood’s super-hit comedy – ‘Do Phool’. I was a 15-year-old high-school boy when I had heard that song (not watched the movie). I could grasp the meaning of two words – ‘Muthu Kodi’… which meant ‘Give kiss’… But, what ‘Kawari Hada’ meant, I have no clue till date!





It was just like ‘Why this kolaveri di’...

Yes, why ask? Simply enjoy the beats…

And, the beats are great…

The rest... Who cares?

Really!

So, whatever bit of Hindi I am able to speak and understand today, a lot of it has come from the Bollywood movies… And, not from my school.

This morning, as I was about to write my daily blog, I happened to see a cute video shared by my dear student and friend, Shraddha, who lives abroad. It was titled ‘Dave and Carol dance to Bollywood music.’ I decided to watch it instantly and, as I was watching it, my heart smiled… “These foreigners don’t understand a word of that song; they have no clue whether it is Hindi, Punjabi or Hyderabadi... But, look at the energy, joy and exuberance!” I was telling myself, “If this is not ‘spreading our culture’, what else is?”




As far as promoting across the seas our popular culture is concerned, our movies and musicians have done a greater service to our nation than the rest of us have!

Honestly, what else do we all - here or anywhere else in the world - yes, what else do we desire…  other than a sincere, clean and spontaneous smile on our faces, early in the morning?

Thank you Shraddha… Thank you Mahmood!


GERALD D’CUNHA
Videos: YouTube

Comments

Atul Kaushal said…
The Hindi speaking population ingloriously mutilated a Tamil song in Muthu Kodi Kawari Hada much less understood what it meant.
See Peter Vas's blog at https://petervas.com/tag/muthu-kullika-vareegala/ for better understanding what it was actually intended to mean.
Fan said…
Fxk i lost my original comment that i was typing, to some "random refresh" that happened of its own. Nd mera original comment tha bhi isi baat ko lekar, how tough it is to thank people. Let me try again.
Fan said…
This is what i wanted to say, "Thank you dear blogger, for posting information about this song. Its so silly, there are 1000 places to download this song on the net, but very few knowledgeable people who wish to share their inputs. Mostly its like falana dhinka singers ne gaya hai, xyz film se hai, etc etc. Anyway, its so difficult even then, to thank people. These sites make it so tough, ye dalo wo dalo, are bhai simple thank you bolna hai. Swiss bank me account nhi khulwana. I ran into one such stupid site, they told me i had to login or register to comment. I reluctantly agreed, but after doing everything, they informed me, to continue you have to install our app. I mean what type of gundagardi n dhokhadhadi is this. Anyway so i couldn't thank that person n looked for someone else, n landed up here at your blog. Nd yaha bhi parcha mil gya, how they randomly refreshed, mera itna sara typing, khair, before they strike again, heres "thank you" ❤️
Anonymous said…
Hi dear
I agree with u when u say Don't mind the lyrics just enjoy the music but then why is lyrics there in the 1st place Majority hindi film songs have very good lyrics but very few have meaningless lyrics but I feel very awkward listening to this song as it is degradation of South Indian vocabulary Though the music & picturisation is peppy it shows South Indian vocabulary in bad light May be I am baised as i myself is south indian

Popular posts from this blog

"WE CHOOSE OUR JOYS AND SORROWS LONG BEFORE WE EXPERIENCE THEM."

WHEN A BIRD IS ALIVE, IT EATS ANTS... WHEN THE BIRD DIES, ANTS EAT THE BIRD

THE WILD, WAYSIDE FLOWERS
There is, always, something extra-ordinary in the wild, wayside flowers...