THERE IS NO REASON NOT TO FOLLOW YOUR HEART















Pic.: Azriel D'Souza
  


“Remembering that you are going to die is the best way I know
to avoid the trap of thinking you have something to lose.
You are already naked…
There is no reason not to follow your heart.”


-       Steve Jobs

I had first met Vasanta ma’am ( also known as Narayani ma'am) more than twelve years ago. She was the Head Mistress, then, of one of the well-known schools in the city. But, being an English teacher, essentially, she was fond of good books. We, at The Dawn Club, had a great collection of books. Vasanta ma’am had come in search of those books…

I remember gifting Vasanta ma’am a couple of books written by me. She was impressed. “I have been nursing in me this dream of being a writer,” she told me, “Hope to start writing, soon.”

We did not meet after that. Just a year ago, I had the privilege of meeting Vasanta ma’am, once again, in our Tai Chi class. “Do you still have the library?” she asked me, remembering our last meeting, “Do you still write?”

I told Vasanta ma’am about my daily blog and invited her to one of The Dawn Club functions, where I had planned to publish a new book – ‘What Makes Me Happy’. The function was held at the local gymkhana. After the book release, while collecting her copy, Vasanta ma’am pressed my hand warmly and said, “I really admire you Gerry sir… You know how much I dream of being a writer!”

Then, two weeks ago, at our Lonavala Tai Chi camp, I had surprised many, including Vasanta ma’am, by releasing a beautiful book – ‘Flowing With The Wheel’. I had woven together some twenty-four blog posts inspired by my interaction at the Tai Chi class. The book was released, post dinner, when we had assembled for a peaceful meditative session… The session assumed a completely different – a sublime – dimension. While handing over the copy to Vasanta ma’am, she pressed my hand gently, and said, once again… “Gerry sir, you keep my dream of being a writer alive in me, thank you.”

Today morning, I met Vasanta ma’am in our Tai Chi class. “Gerry sir, the book is impressive,” she complimented, “I must start writing now!”

I said, “Yes ma’am, you should.” Then, I added this: “Ma’am, why can’t you write, a page or two, on this very dream and dilemma of yours… How, for years and years, the dream has remained dormant… music unplayed, your song unsung.” I encouraged her to put the whole story as it is… straight from the heart… and I promised her to share it with my readers.

Vasanta ma’am gave me the promise, this morning…

But, you see, I couldn’t stop myself from telling her story first, and in my own way!


What have we got to lose ma’am? As Steve Jobs said, we are already naked… There is no reason not to follow our hearts…

Please write… Please tell your story!


GERALD D’CUNHA

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MUTHU KODI KAWARI HADA

SELLING MIRRORS IN THE CITY OF THE BLIND

"HAPPILY EVER AFTER IS NOT A FAIRY-TALE... IT IS A CHOICE"

THE WILD, WAYSIDE FLOWERS
There is, always, something extra-ordinary in the wild, wayside flowers...