THE PASSION

The period of forty days before the Crucifixion of Jesus Christ is referred to as the Lent. To me, this is a very important time. It is the time to get inspired in life.

Christ barely lived for thirty-three years. But, what an incredible life that had been! He lived with such passion, that the end of His life is termed as 'the passion of the Christ'.

Swami Vivekananda, another hero of mine, too, died in his thirties. But, what a life that had been! What a legacy! Rarely, in history, a religious monk - a young monk - has evoked such respect, and such awe. Like Jesus Christ, Swamiji lived with passion, with completeness.

Here is my third hero - the remarkable Martin Luther King Jr. This American Civil Rights leader, too, died in his thirties. But, not before leaving behind such imprints, that wouldn't disappear for generations to come. This King was a Negro, condemned and humiliated as a 'nigger'. But, by the time his life ended, he had inspired millions, the world over, including the mighty heads of states - the Kings. Just one word is sufficient to describe this dynamic man's life ..., and, that is - once again - 'Passion'.

So, every time, the Lent comes, I remember my three mighty heroes ... their eventful lives, their purpose and passion ... and I get charged. To me, thus, the Lent is the time to get recharged, to commit myself, once again, in life. I need these icons to keep me going. I need the touch of their shadow!

I am 50. And, I know it is never the length of your life that is the yardstick, but the kind of your involvement in it!


GERALD D'CUNHA

Comments

Girish Dhameja said…
Good to see you in flow. Read your article. As somebody has rightly said "LIFE SHOULD BE BIG AND NOT LONG"
Gerald D'Cunha said…
Hey Girish,
Thanks for the comment.

GERRY

Popular posts from this blog

MUTHU KODI KAWARI HADA

"WE CHOOSE OUR JOYS AND SORROWS LONG BEFORE WE EXPERIENCE THEM."

WHEN A BIRD IS ALIVE, IT EATS ANTS... WHEN THE BIRD DIES, ANTS EAT THE BIRD

THE WILD, WAYSIDE FLOWERS
There is, always, something extra-ordinary in the wild, wayside flowers...