AN HOUR OF FULFILLMENT IS LIKE A LIFETIME OF FULFILLMENT










I feel like telling this today: An hour of fulfillment is like a lifetime of fulfillment!

I had been invited by one of the reputed colleges in Mumbai to take a session, today, for its teachers… The subject had instantly caught on their imagination – ‘AM I A TEACHER BY DESIGN OR A TEACHER BY DEFAULT?’…

I had an hour and a few minutes more to leave an impact… Yes, I did!

How do you make out that you have left an impact? After decades of doing this teaching and training stuff, and, after having seen every kind of participant in the audience… I have stopped going by the traditional way of getting the ‘feedback’…

You can’t satisfy all… All that you can do is: Put your total heart and convey your message. Keep it utterly simple… and practical… Make them feel you are one among them… And, never ever position yourself as a ‘super-human’…

People relate to the underdog-heroes… to those, who are ordinary folks like them, but who rise up to greatness!


I was pleasantly surprised, today, to note the fact, that the college had organized my session to coincide with the felicitation of one of the retiring teachers… So, immediately after my session, some 30 minutes more were spent to honour this senior lady teacher, who, I could, immediately realize was one of the most effective and popular teachers of the institution… Colleagues, Principal, Department Heads, Trustees, friends and family members… almost every one kept showering praises on the retiring teacher… I realized, in those few minutes, as to how this woman had touched so many lives… gone beyond the call of her duty… and remained true to what she had always believed in…

“I, always, admired madam for being a totally transparent person,” one of her colleagues said, “What she was inside, she was outside, too… She was a true mirror for many of us.”

As this male colleague was saying what he had just said, I could feel the truth and honesty in his words, too… He was totally transparent… he meant what he said… What he was inside, he was outside, too!

I have, always, relied myself on this kind of feedback… Genuine feedback is seldom wrapped in glossy words… It comes straight from a simple and sincere heart!

My one hour, like I said earlier, was like a lifetime of fulfillment… My heart doesn’t lie about it. After the session, when so many teachers came up to tell me what they had felt, they only echoed what my heart was already feeling – total fulfillment!

The same must have been the feeling of the senior teacher who retired today after serving for the institution for years… I could feel that hers was a totally fulfilled career!

Apparently, this teacher had been instrumental in creating a very effective N.S.S. cell in the college. When the chief Trustee handed her a cheque as a token of love, she instantaneously donated the amount to the N.S.S. cell!

“When you leave the place, leave it a little better than how you found it when you first came in.” As part of my session, I, always, challenge teachers to ask this to themselves: “Have I done it so?”

As a trainer, I challenge myself, too: “Am I leaving this place a little better after an hour?”

The retiring teacher did it even on the last moment of her eventful service in this great institution.

My one hour… Her one long-career… yes, they had given us both the same feeling: of total fulfillment!


GERLAD D’CUNHA

Pic.: Avinash Mantri


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MUTHU KODI KAWARI HADA

"HAPPILY EVER AFTER IS NOT A FAIRY-TALE... IT IS A CHOICE"

SELLING MIRRORS IN THE CITY OF THE BLIND

THE WILD, WAYSIDE FLOWERS
There is, always, something extra-ordinary in the wild, wayside flowers...