THE GATE OF CHANGE CAN BE OPENED ONLY FROM THE INSIDE




“Each of us guards a gate of change
that can be opened only from the inside.”
- Stephen Covey


Losing my patience with my students – when they do shoddy work, when they bunk, when they don’t do home-work, when they show total indifference etc – has almost become part of my nature. After all, I have been teaching for over forty-one years or so (I started teaching since age 18 when I was in F.Y. B.Com). So, like everything else in life, we all tend to become a bit tired and irritated doing the same thing days after days, years after years… My love and passion for teaching have not died and they will never die… But, patience, quite often, dries up… and, I tend to show it before my students…

Well, mercifully, my students think that my impatience and irritation with them do not stem from my bias or hatred. They empathize with me and think it is for their good…

Let me confess: that’s a huge relief for me!

Yes, I love my students and I am really concerned about their growth and future… Maybe, that my impatience and irritation are also the ways in which I convey my feelings for my students…

There are many checks and balances in life, which make our limitations and weaknesses great equalizers in life… I may be my students’ teacher… I may be too good in the subject I have been teaching for decades… But, I am weak – too bad – in so many things where my young students score excellently… For example, my mobile and computer skills – in fact most of technology area – are too poor. There is a huge mental block which makes me reluctant and unenthusiastic about learning these skills… At times, I try and then soon give up… I had a huge stage fear as a young boy. But, because, I wanted to become an excellent teacher like my own idol (Prof. B.S. Raman), I was determined to overcome my problems of stage fear. In the process, I turned my biggest handicap into my biggest strength. The same goes for my problem of English-speaking and the basic computer skills… The desire to express well, through writing, gave me enough motivation to work on my English and learn the use of computer… But, I haven’t leant driving, swimming, dancing swimming or any other sport… The young boys and girls who are too good at them, often, remind me to be patient and tolerant in life… They make me calm down and tell what Peter Parker (Spiderman) was told by his mentor, Uncle Ben: ‘Remember, with great power comes great responsibility’!

Last Sunday, my elder brother called me up from Mangalore (my hometown). “Gerry, our mom has gone digital,” he said with mischief in his voice, “Finally, she has agreed to use a mobile!”

Our mom is in her eighties. We have been very concerned about her when it comes to use of the landline. Whenever the phone would ring, she would rush from wherever she was to take the call… We have been worried about she falling and getting hurt. My brothers got her simple handsets many times and tried to persuade her to use… But, mom remained reluctant. Finally, this Sunday, my elder brother succeeded. “I have given her, today, one-hour tutorial on how to receive the calls,” my brother laughed, “the rest is not important.”

So, from here (Mumbai), I called my mom to check…

“Hello,” my mom picked up…

“Mai, congratulations!” I pepped her…

“Thank-you, putha,” mom was quite pleased about her success.

I remembered the Google ad, which I regularly show in my training sessions for various reasons. Every time I watch it, not only my mom comes before me, my son and students too. As I empower my son and students, I also depend a lot to be empowered by them… That’s Life… and its inter-dependency… Which I call 'the great equalizer'…

The checks and balances in life that keep us sane, human and humble.





GERALD D’CUNHA


Pic.: Chetna Shetty

Video: YouTube

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MUTHU KODI KAWARI HADA

"HAPPILY EVER AFTER IS NOT A FAIRY-TALE... IT IS A CHOICE"

SELLING MIRRORS IN THE CITY OF THE BLIND

THE WILD, WAYSIDE FLOWERS
There is, always, something extra-ordinary in the wild, wayside flowers...