ARE WE THE URBAN TRIBALS?








Babies, pets and plants… What can be common among these?


I think, they all can be our best stress-busters!


Well, I do not have little babies at home nor I have pets and plants. Still, I know they can be our great stress-busters….


When I was a little boy, back in our village, a couple of dogs, cats, chickens, cows, buffaloes, even pigs (in Christian homes) was not only a common sight, but also was mandatory… Plants and trees, by default, grew in every garden or backyard… and, Babies?


All that was we did not have around was: the fantastic technology, like our mobile cameras to capture the amazing stories and the internet and social media to showcase those images and memories… But, babies, pets and plants… yes, they always warmed our hearts and melted down our stress.


Yesterday, during our PD session, I had shown a scene from the movie, ‘Taare Zameen Par’. Ishaan’s teacher, Nikumbh Sir (Aamir Khan) has a visitor in his hostel room – Ishaan’s father. The latter has come to explain to the teacher as to how much care and concern he and his wife have been showing towards Ishaan… “My wife has done a lot of research on the internet about parenting etc, etc.”. The teacher’s response is priceless… He reminds the self-righteous parent about the subtle and silent ways of conveying to our little children, “I love you sweetheart, I care for you… a hug, a kiss or a reassurance that I am with you when you struggle…” The meeting turns out to be an eye-opener for the hardened father of Ishaan… As he leaves, the teacher asks Ishaan’s father, if his wife had researched about the Solomon Island… Mr. Awasthi, Ishaan’s father, says ‘No’…



The teacher explains: “In Solomon Island, when the tribals want wood, they do not cut down the trees… Instead, they, in a big group, surround the tree and start hurling abuses and curses… In a few days, the tree just drops dead!”



Yesterday morning, after showing this video, I had encouraged our young ones to have a discussion on the theme… What came out was the obvious… 


‘Taare Zameen Par’ was a cult film... It had touched the little ones, young ones and all. In our classroom, yesterday, barring a little 10-year-old, rest all had watched the film and loved it, were moved by it. Hence, what came up in the discussion was the predictable conclusion: If you constantly criticize the child, you only end up killing its spirit!







“But, Sir, how can you kill a tree by just cursing it?” was 18-year-old Samat’s question, “Is it scientific?”


Suddenly, amid the laughter, many voices rose, “Yes, it is scientific.”


My friend Savita, a psychotherapist, came to defuse the situation. She beautifully explained how we can talk to plants at home and the babies in the wombs… I recalled the rustic stories from our village… How our grandparents and parents communicated with dogs, chickens, cows, buffaloes and pigs… How they could sense when someone in the house was seriously ill… How they became tensed and insecure when there was a fight at home… Dogs, particularly, were very protective about the little children; they would not allow the elders to beat the children… Sometimes, the sadness would overwhelm them so much, that they refused to eat…


I shared an experience I had at my younger brother’s house, some years ago. That night, while all were fast asleep, I was in distress as I coughed continuously… It was endless, painful and was not allowing me to sleep. As I was going through this distress through the darkness, I could sense the touch of Django, their huge dog at home… Django did not know me well as I was not a frequent visitor there and I rarely stayed there overnight. Still, he could sense my distress and was trying to tell me, “I love you; I care for you… The night will pass!”


I, also, shared another experience involving Buzzo, the dog which grew up in the Society where I work from. Yes, he is a street dog, but a pet of so many here… Particularly of Kapoor family. Buzzo is very protective of each member of Kapoor family. They live on the top floor, where, as a discipline, Buzzo is not allowed to be seen (by others)… So, he knows his boundaries… He gets his share of love and care and he reciprocates it only outside in the open space… the streets, his home. One day, Mr. Kanchan Kapoor, the man of the house, was getting into his car, when Buzzo came to see him off. Mr. Kanchan playfully told, “Buzzo, Devika (his young daughter) is all alone at home, khayal rakhna.”… and off he drove.


Hours later, when Mr. Kanchan returned, he was stunned to see Buzzo sitting outside the door… He had been guarding Devika all the while!



Do trees, plants, dogs, cats, birds, cows, buffaloes and pigs understand us, feel us?


Does Solomon Island exist... I mean the tree-cursing story of the tribals?


To me, the answer is irrelevant!



GERALD D’CUNHA

Pic.: Taare Zameen Par

Video: The Rock / Taare Zameen Par



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MUTHU KODI KAWARI HADA

"HAPPILY EVER AFTER IS NOT A FAIRY-TALE... IT IS A CHOICE"

SELLING MIRRORS IN THE CITY OF THE BLIND

THE WILD, WAYSIDE FLOWERS
There is, always, something extra-ordinary in the wild, wayside flowers...