COLOURS OF THE SPIRIT











“Nature always wears the colours of the spirit.” Probably, you have just missed the meaning of what Ralph Waldo Emerson says here. So, let’s read it, once again, slowly and together:

“Nature always wears the colours of the spirit.”


To understand what ‘spirit’ is – call it ‘spirituality’ – all about, I think, we do not have to open the Holy Texts or listen to the discourses of Masters… Suffice it is to sit quietly in the midst of Nature – the robust trees and the fragile grass, the busy brooks and the serene lakes, the roaring waterfalls and the glorious rainbows… the antelopes and the butterflies… the flowers, the leaves and the exploding skies… the night, the stars, the sun and the moon. Yes, suffice it is if we sit alone and see Her glory, listen to Her songs, Her whispers… without judging… just let them be… let it rain, let it snow, let it heal… let it recreate.


To me, this recreation inside my bosoms, amidst the recreation of Nature, is what spirituality all about. God speaks to us through them all… Yes, as Emerson says, Nature, always, wears the colours of the spirit!


Mother Teresa says: “God is the friend of silence. See how Nature – trees, flowers, grass- grows in silence; see the stars, the moon and the sun, how they move in silence… We need silence to be able to touch souls.”


Also, to me, the presence of all my emotions is akin to the presence of all the hues of Nature. I have in my bosoms love and hatred, joy and sorrow, fear and courage, despair and buoyancy… I feel secure and insecure, jealous and magnanimous. Just as the leaves of the trees take birth and die, just as the flowers bloom and wither and just as the skies explode and go quiet… yes, just as they experience these movements, my bosoms, too, do. And, when I connect to God’s every creation outside, I am able to connect inside, too…


True, the disconnect happens the moment I look far and become anxious… or, look behind in regret or guilt. The moment I bring my attention to here and now - to the moment in hand - my judgements drop… the stories end. Peace comes to settle!


That’s, probably, why Rabindranath Tagore says this: “The butterfly counts not months but moments, and has time enough.”


Just stay with this piece of music… with all the colours of your spirit.







GERALD D’CUNHA

Pic.: Northlandscapes

Video: Tatiana Blue/ Secret Garden Poem'e

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MUTHU KODI KAWARI HADA

"HAPPILY EVER AFTER IS NOT A FAIRY-TALE... IT IS A CHOICE"

SELLING MIRRORS IN THE CITY OF THE BLIND

THE WILD, WAYSIDE FLOWERS
There is, always, something extra-ordinary in the wild, wayside flowers...