OUR SEARCH FOR HAPPINESS




“The search for happiness
is one of the chief sources of unhappiness.”

-      Eric Hoffer


Whenever I am least concerned about the outcome of my efforts - whatever the outcome… yes, it’s not only bonus, it’s also bliss… Absolute bliss!


On the other hand, whenever I am too concerned about the outcome of my efforts – how others would perceive them, how much fame and money they would bring to me, how I can copyright or safe guard my intellectual property and so on – yes, the more I am concerned about these things, the outcome of my efforts seem small and insufficient. Leave alone the bonus and bliss, what I experience, here, is a deep sense of insecurity, fear and despair…


It’s truly ironical!


Happiness is, always, found in the simplest of the simple things… We know this truth; yet, we go searching for our happiness in those ‘big things', you see!


Like, if writing my daily notes (blogs) comes straight from my heart, and I keep doing it without the concern – whether or not my writings make me rich and famous – that’s the simplest and the surest route to my happiness. Rather, it’s not a ‘route’… not a ‘journey’… It’s is the ‘destination’… It is ‘happiness’!


But, then, there is this ‘grand fairy-tale’ about ‘success’ and ‘happiness’, you see… that, it comes at the end of the long and rugged road… that, it comes like victory in a great battle against the backdrop of trumpets all around!


A poem, a story, a speech, a sketch, a click, a painting, a dance, a song, a piece of music, a sport, whatever that is… if it comes straight from the heart without the concern for the ‘outcome’… then alone, it has the power of making my soul rejoice and dance… It’s innocent and non-manipulative… It’s unpolluted and incorruptible…


But then… Yes, but then, that ‘grand fairy-tale’, that, someday, I will be happy… someday, I will be able to dance with joy… Yes, someday, I will be able to take that ‘grand bath of happiness’!!!







GERALD D’CUNHA

Pic.: www.pixels.com


Video: Only Manipur Collection Sap

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MUTHU KODI KAWARI HADA

"HAPPILY EVER AFTER IS NOT A FAIRY-TALE... IT IS A CHOICE"

SELLING MIRRORS IN THE CITY OF THE BLIND

THE WILD, WAYSIDE FLOWERS
There is, always, something extra-ordinary in the wild, wayside flowers...