JAISI SHAKAL WAISI NAKAL

 



“All colours will agree in the dark.”

Francis Bacon

 

I just found some pictures of mine with a group of students. The pictures are nearly thirty-five years old. My first reaction, when I looked at those pictures, was – “OMG!”

The “OMG!”, as you must’ve guessed, meant this: “Did I look so bad?”

I remembered Dilip, who had clicked those pictures. When he had clicked them, thirty-five years ago, I had reacted the same way – “OMG! Do I look so bad?”

Dilip’s response was instant and typical of him: “Sir, jaisi shakal waisi nakal!”

Dilip may have been my student. But, his freaky response had an important lesson for me: “Hello, you will see yourself exactly how you want to see!”

If I have a healthy self-esteem, then, I am able to appreciate what I see in my pictures. If not, no matter how good the pictures are, I would always react – “OMG! Do I look so bad?”

Thirty-five years on, I still have some issues with my pictures – I never look good in them, you see… It’s ‘OMG’, even today!

So, what are we supposed to conclude? My thinking is filtered, distorted? Or, I should use filters to make me look good in those pictures?

 



A few days ago, someone sent to me an article about him published in his community bulletin. In that article, he had been hailed as a hero, an inspiration to people around him…

My instant reaction, in my mind, was: “This man?”

Now, where was my ‘This-man?” reaction coming from?

My filtered thinking, obviously. I was prejudiced towards this person for whatever past reasons buried deep in my mind… I did not like him; so, I would not like an article about him, either!

Funny, isn’t it?

By the way, am I alone suffering from this disorder - of distorted thinking?

Hope not!




Long before I heard it from the satsang gurus, ‘Jaisi drishti waisi srishti’, I had heard it from Dilip, my own student, ‘Jaisi shakal waisi nakal’!

After all, we will see the world, or ourselves, exactly how we want see… Don’t we?

 

GERALD D’CUNHA

 

Pic’s: pixabay

 

Video: Crunchy Fusion

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MUTHU KODI KAWARI HADA

"HAPPILY EVER AFTER IS NOT A FAIRY-TALE... IT IS A CHOICE"

SELLING MIRRORS IN THE CITY OF THE BLIND

THE WILD, WAYSIDE FLOWERS
There is, always, something extra-ordinary in the wild, wayside flowers...