THE LANGUAGE OF OUR HEARTS

 



“Funny, how a beautiful song can tell such a sad story!”

Sarah Desen

 

Some ten days ago, Ameya got in touch with me. He had attended our Personality Development programme in 1997. Now a married man, he was asking me if there was something to help his nephew Darshil (14) and niece Tirtha (11). He was very keen, that the kids had to get something from me to help them in their development… Whatever that might be. ‘Whatever’, I said.

Because it was ‘whatever’, that Ameya was looking for, I said ‘Yes’ and took the two angels into my fold. We also decided, that their parents, as well as Ameya and his wife – all would join the online sessions…

Today we completed six of the twenty sessions, and, I am extremely satisfied the way they are going…

When it comes to communication, in whichever form it may be, I encourage everyone to communicate not only with their mind, but also with their heart. While head may project you as an intelligent person, it’s your heart, that helps you connect to your audience, readers or whoever you try to communicate with. If you do not use emotions and feelings rightly, you simply cannot connect… cannot touch people. Therefore, I emphasize, tirelessly, on telling everything as a story… A great story!

Luckily, many understand this need quickly. In my sessions, I show them scores of videos, writings, songs, movie clips, speeches etc., where they can easily make out, that effective communication is all about telling their stories well. That’s all!

 



Last evening, I had shared this beautiful song with Sudha, who lives in Singapore. She is a regular reader of my Blogs and, always, tells me, that she loves my storytelling…

 



I had, also, shared with little Darshil and Tirtha, and all the adults in that group, this amazing ad from Google:




In the very first session, while I was asking Darshil and Tirtha to tell  us about their one or two God-given talents, Darshil had told us, without even blinking: “I love editing videos.”

Whatever that we simply enjoy doing, without being taught or told, is our talent. It is a gift from God – an endowment. Some of us recognize our talents early and go about converting them into fine skills. In my case, when I watched my own idol, Prof. B.S. Raman, in my degree college, I, suddenly and silently, woke up to my talent of teaching and writing… I dreamt of becoming like my idol – a fine teacher and a writer. So, all that I had to do was to follow my heart’s calling – my passion. I had to convert my talent into a fine skill. During this process, one of the things I discovered was this: I had to tell stories from my heart… My teaching had to be great story; my training and writings had to be exactly that…

So, this morning, I was telling my little students and my grown-up students the same thing: Everything in life is a story… Tell it well; tell with all your heart…

One of my favourite films is ‘Sairat’. It’s a Marathi film. I am not at all good in this language even though I have lived in Mumbai for over four decades and even though Marathi is quite close to my mother tongue, Konkani. But, ‘Sairat’ doesn’t need the language of  any region. It is a very simple, rustic story, told powerfully, with the language of heart. The script, plot,  songs, lyrics, direction, music -  everything about it is topnotch. Above all, its ending… It leaves us all numb for hours after we leave the cinema halls! Just sharing the  song ‘Yaad Lagla’ … Look how the all-familiar feeling of being in love – insanely – is projected through an amazing piece of music, acting and direction…

 



Heart is the most important organ, that helps all of us to communicate well… Connect us to others with our stories. Let me rest my case with this popular act of Johnny Liver on the sets of Kapil Sharma Show… Watch the transformation of emotions from casual comedy to something profound…




Yes, when that transformation happens, it means, that you have communicated well… Told your story well.

 

GERALD D’CUNHA

 

Pic’s: Pixels 1. Josh Willink  2. Daria Shevtsova

Videos: 1. Katie Melua  2. Google India                        

             3. Zee Music Marathi  4. Tech Pin2

 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MUTHU KODI KAWARI HADA

"HAPPILY EVER AFTER IS NOT A FAIRY-TALE... IT IS A CHOICE"

SELLING MIRRORS IN THE CITY OF THE BLIND

THE WILD, WAYSIDE FLOWERS
There is, always, something extra-ordinary in the wild, wayside flowers...