A HEART OF PURE GHEE

 




“Nothing ever goes away until it teaches us

what we need to know.”

Pema Chodron



In my hometown, Mangalore, there is a famous bakery by the name ‘Cochin Bakery’. They have several outlets in the city and some fantastic delicacies. The one many people like is their ghee cake… It’s a simple, delicious cake that goes extremely well with the evening tea… I simply love it.

So, while returning from Mangalore, some days ago, I had picked a couple of packets of this favourite cake of mine just to pass on to some close ones. One of my dear ones sent this message to me the next day:

“I had the ghee cake you had sent over yesterday and I have absolutely loved it. Thank you for sending it over. I just have one request: if it’s possible for you, and if you do have another, could you please send it over, too? I did not get to eat much of the previous cake that was sent.”

And, I absolutely love this kind of honesty and childlike attitude in life. The dear one, who sent this message, is a smart young man working for a very reputed multinational firm. But, at heart, he has remained who he is – a simple boy who loves simple things. Through the entire Pandemic, their team has been working from a five-star hotel and served with some of the finest delicacies that one could dream of. He comes home on the weekends. The last piece of ghee cake awaited him, when he was home, this time…

“Oh my boy!” I replied, “I will be sending one for you, today… Full cake for you!”

That’s the last packet at home, and I was more than happy to send it to the one who was so simple and sincere…

Today, while talking to him, he said, “Let me tell you: none of the  lavish cakes can beat this simple ghee cake and a cup of tea.”






So many lavish things have piled up and the simple boy in me has been subdued and suppressed. Now and then, a young man, like this one, comes along to remind me, that all the creamy-and-chocolatey layers of life cannot beat a simple piece of a ghee cake and a cup of tea…

It takes strength of character to express our feelings the way this well-placed and confident young man did. So, while he loved the simple ghee cake, I loved his simple honesty…






Oh boy! What more is needed to feel happy in life?   

 

GERALD D’CUNHA

 

Pic’s: pixabay

 

Video: The Voice Kids UK

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MUTHU KODI KAWARI HADA

"HAPPILY EVER AFTER IS NOT A FAIRY-TALE... IT IS A CHOICE"

SELLING MIRRORS IN THE CITY OF THE BLIND

THE WILD, WAYSIDE FLOWERS
There is, always, something extra-ordinary in the wild, wayside flowers...