OUR SELECTIVE PATIENCE


 



“Knowing trees, I understand the meaning of patience;

knowing grass, I can appreciate persistence.”

Hal Borland

 


I have narrated this incident several times before, while dwelling on the subject of patience…

Some twenty-five years ago, I had been for a check-up at a Cardiologist’s clinic. This doctor happened to be someone who admired my work and cared for me as a person. I was there at his  clinic during the peak hours of his consultancy, and several patients were waiting for their turn to come… The doctor seemed not at all affected by this. After completing my check-up, he started discussing about health and well-being in a holistic context… “You are still young, and you’re truly needed around,” he said. Then, he went on to motivate me to look forward to living with zest and resolve…

The doctor had already given me a great deal of his time and care. But, I was feeling restless, and guilty, too. “Doctor, you have so many patients waiting there outside,” I gently reminded, “I am feeling bad for them.”

“Let them wait, my friend,” the doctor was forthright, “That’s why they are called ‘Patients’”

Frankly, till that point of time, I hadn’t really paused to check why the ‘Patients’ were called ‘Patients’!

It doesn’t mean, that any drastic transformation has come about in me after this ‘awakening’ at my Cardiologist-friend's clinic a quarter century ago. Yes, I do show loads of patience… But, as the Iron Lady of Britain, the late Margaret Thatcher, once wittingly said, “I am extraordinarily patient, provided I get my own way in the end.”

I believe, the Iron Lady of Britain was talking on behalf of the whole world… For, the more I think about it, the clearer it gets to me, that we show extraordinary patience only when we realize, that we get our way in the end!






Questions pop up: Is, therefore, our patience is only selective? Do most of us show more impatience in our daily dealings with our dearest and nearest ones – the people who matter the most in our lives?

I do… Our spouses do… Our children do… Our teachers, students, and parents do… Our doctors, patients and their families do… Our bosses, employees and co-workers do… Police and politicians do… Even the priests and the gurus do…

Perhaps, just because ‘impatience’ is so pandemic in its nature, you and I are desiring to be a lot more patient…

The trees will continue to teach us the value of Patience; and the grass will continue to teach us the value of persistence… Yes, we shall, forever, be called ‘Patients’…






There is hope, you see, for all the ‘Patients’ in this world!

 

GERALD D’CUNHA

 

Pic's: pixabay

 

Video: HH Radhanath Swami/Motivational  Inspirational

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MUTHU KODI KAWARI HADA

"HAPPILY EVER AFTER IS NOT A FAIRY-TALE... IT IS A CHOICE"

SELLING MIRRORS IN THE CITY OF THE BLIND

THE WILD, WAYSIDE FLOWERS
There is, always, something extra-ordinary in the wild, wayside flowers...