I HAVE SEEN YOU SOMEWHERE

The pretty young girl was there in the hotel lobby. On the sofa, lay some lovely balloons and decorations. As I spotted this young girl, I smiled. For a short while, the girl did not reciprocate, but kept staring at me. "I have seen you somewhere... I don't remember, where," she said, gently. "Ma'am, you may not remember, but I do," I told her, "I am Gerry, your teacher."

"Oh, hi sir... I am very sorry; really sorry," she exclaimed in embarrassment. "You know, your look so different, so young, in these formals."

I nicely ran my hand over my silk tie. The massage by the young lady made me feel - 'Not bad'!

She was there waiting for some of her friends. "We are here to decorate the room. A friend of ours will be spending her first night in this hotel, today," she told me.

"When was the wedding?" I asked in excitement.

"Not me, my friend, sir," she thought I had heard it wrong.

I was in my own world... and, in deed, I had heard it wrong.

"I am here to attend the Golden Jubilee celebration of a couple," I informed her.

"Fifty years!!!?" she shouted, astonished.

"No, no... not mine, not ours," I was quick to clear the confusion. "It is of a couple we know."

Possibly, she, too, was in her own world.

The smartly dressed staff at the reception counter were a witness to our absent-mindedness.

As I joined my family, who had already occupied one of the tables at the beautifully decorated venue, my mind was still swinging, back and forth, like a restless pendulum. "I think, I have seen your somewhere,"... The old joke came to life, all over again.

This time the setting was a country liquor-joint in a village. Two men - one young and the other old - are seated facing each other, and are enjoying their desi stuff... They are in their own world! The room is dark and packed.

Suddenly, the old man says, "Young man, I think, I have seen you somewhere."

"Even I think, I have seen your somewhere," the young man responds in excitement.

"Where do you stay, sir?" asks the young man, after a sip.

"I stay in Ashok Nagar," replies the old man.

"Even I stay in Ashok Nagar," shouts the young man, pulling the old man's hand to shake.

Two gulps later, the young man asks, again, "Sir, where in Ashok Nagar?"

"Chawl number 10," tells the senior.

"Strange, even I stay in chawl number 10," jumps the juniour, to shake the elderly man's both hands.

More sips and pickle later, the dialogue resumes, "Tell me, sir. Which room, in Chawl
number 10?"

"Room number 4."

"Even I stay in room number 4... What a pleasant surprise!" The young man gets up to lend a bear hug to the grey-haired. "I did not know this... Surprising!"

The customer at the cash counter, who was watching the episode, all along, couldn't refrain from reacting before the busy and indifferent cashier, "Do you see the drama? Who are these characters?"

"It is the daily show, here," informs the cashier, casually, to the amused customer. "The black-haired is the son, and the gray-haired is his father."

That was another world... another setting... and, another kind of intoxication!

In room number 304, the young couple was checking in to begin its roller-coaster ride. On the terrace, the elderly couple was ready for another surprise!


GERALD D'CUNHA

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MUTHU KODI KAWARI HADA

"HAPPILY EVER AFTER IS NOT A FAIRY-TALE... IT IS A CHOICE"

SELLING MIRRORS IN THE CITY OF THE BLIND

THE WILD, WAYSIDE FLOWERS
There is, always, something extra-ordinary in the wild, wayside flowers...