THE VISIBLE CHANGE AND THE PRACTICAL USE OF OUR EDUCATION





Pic.: Indu Varier


Some days ago, I was getting off an autorickshaw with a heavy bag, full of books. Just then, little 11-year-old Yomesh, who was busy playing a little away, with his friends, left his game alone and came running to me. “Sir, I will help you,” his hand had already reached my heavy bag…

“Don’t worry beta,” I thanked the little-one, “So sweet of you.”

But, Yomesh was so keen, so enthusiastic that he wanted to help me. He said, “Sir you hold the bag from that side, I will hold it from this side.”

I had no option but to accept the little-hand of help.

It was a barely a distance of some fifty feet… When I was near the office door, I saw a parent waiting for me with his 17-year-old son. The man, who worked with a multinational company was there to enquire about the PD course, which we were to start the next day.

“Bye sir,” Yomesh exuded his charm and energy and galloped back to join his friends in the playground.

“Thank you so much beta,” I said and ushered the father-and-son duo into my office.

After explaining about the course and its benefits for over twenty minutes, I heard the father asking me this question: “Will we be able to see some ‘visible changes’ in our son after this two-month course is over; will it have any practical use?”

The young-boy went to one of the top IB schools and the father worked at a top position in one of the blue-chip companies. And, here was my position: I was expected to answer, if, at the end of our two-month PD programme, the young-man would show any ‘visible’ changes… If the course was all theory or practical!

“Good, he is not asking what some other parents ask me – If my son or daughter would be able to walk on water or hot coal… If my daughter or son will be able to swallow fire or heal the blind and the deaf… Raise the dead” Yes, I am exaggerating it… but, I was thinking in my mind about such unreasonable expectations... This man wanted his son to be ‘practical’ in life… He wanted to see some ‘visible changes’ once the course was over… He wanted the ‘value for money’.

I smiled and spoke about our 11-year-old Yomesh. I told the concerned father that Yomesh had been attending our programmes, every summer, ever since he was 5. But, never did I ever tell him to leave his game alone and come to help someone like me who carried a heavy bag… “To me, that’s the ‘visible’ change,” I said to the corporate top-brass, “To me, that’s ‘practical’ personality-development.”

Of course, I did not offend them by saying, “Neither you nor your IB-school son ‘see’ this, leave alone offering your hands!”

Anyway, the young-boy was signed up for the course. Let’s see if his dad would be able to see any ‘visible changes’ at the end of it.


One day, the Buddha was waiting by the river bank for a boat to ferry him across the river. A jealous spiritual teacher, who was waiting for a chance to ridicule Gautama, started proudly demonstrating his spiritual powers by crossing the river, back and forth, walking over the water.

The Buddha simply smiled and said, "My friend, how long did you train yourself to attain this power?"

"It took me thirty-long years,” boasted the spiritual master.

"Thirty-long years?” the Buddha exclaimed, “You know what, I can cross the river using the boat for only one penny!"


So much for the ‘visible change’ and the ‘practical use’ of our education!


GERALD D’CUNHA





Comments

Vikas Balani said…
Your posts are very inspiring, Thank you

Popular posts from this blog

MUTHU KODI KAWARI HADA

"HAPPILY EVER AFTER IS NOT A FAIRY-TALE... IT IS A CHOICE"

SELLING MIRRORS IN THE CITY OF THE BLIND

THE WILD, WAYSIDE FLOWERS
There is, always, something extra-ordinary in the wild, wayside flowers...