CAN OUR 'STRUCTURES' WITHSTAND A QUAKE?






















Pic.: Sudha Ahuja


“80% Delhi’s buildings wont’ stand a quake. http://toi.in/iHvisZ. We should do a structural study of ours to study if it can withstand an earthquake.”

This was the first message on my cell-phone, today. It was 6.30 in the morning. NIlesh*, a young and highly-qualified member of our housing society had sent this message to me – the honorary chairman of our society…

I smiled began to nod my head… “Who should I forward it to – God?” I wondered.

“Good morning Nilesh,” I replied immediately, “have a nice day!”

Nilesh had not even bothered to greet me, ‘Good morning’ in his message… He was bothered about the stability of our buildings… whether they can withstand an earthquake!

Alright, let’s suppose we conduct a structural audit right away, tomorrow, and are advised to do something about our buildings… You think, we will be able to protect ourselves against the catastrophe?

When Malaysian Airlines Flight-370 had disappeared and there was no trace of it for months on, late one night, my nephew, Erol, had posted on this timeline his concern: “It is three months now, no trace of the missing Malayian plane.”

Yes, it was past midnight. My nephew was sleepless over the missing Malaysian Airlines!

His college friend had a quick advice: “Vogeth nidhe saibha!”

Translated from our mother tongue, Konkani, it meant: “Boss, (now go and) quietly sleep!”

Today, my friend, Nilesh, had sent his ‘worry message’ early in the morning. Probably, he hadn’t slept the whole night! So, it was my turn to calm him down:

“Good morning Nilesh. Have a nice day!”


*Name changed


GERALD D’CUNHA




Comments

Meena Kumar said…
Profound message, well-conveyed.

Popular posts from this blog

MUTHU KODI KAWARI HADA

"HAPPILY EVER AFTER IS NOT A FAIRY-TALE... IT IS A CHOICE"

SELLING MIRRORS IN THE CITY OF THE BLIND

THE WILD, WAYSIDE FLOWERS
There is, always, something extra-ordinary in the wild, wayside flowers...