THE CASTLE WEDDINGS







Pic.: Nirmala Sundar


“Many people spend more time in planning the wedding
than they do in planning the marriage.”

Lisa*, a young girl, who I know from my home town, Mangalore, had shared a beautiful wedding video on FB, last night. “My cousin Rahul’s* wedding video,” she had captioned, proudly.

I decided to watch the 15-minutes video, and I really loved it. The moment I had clicked on the ‘Like’ button, I saw an indication on my in-box.

“Uncle, how did you find the video?” I could feel the young-one’s excitement from miles afar!

“Lisa, it was outstanding! Watched it to the end… Crisp editing, great music,” I replied. Then, I teased her, “And, when can we watch yours?”

Lisa described to me that the couple’s families had taken all their guests to a beautiful destination at a certain hill-station and “it was so, so, so grand… so, so magical!”

“Lovely couple, God bless,” I wrote to Lisa, and continued to pull her legs, “And, now, I am waiting for yours… Remember Lisa, not an open jeep (an antique jeep was used by this couple as the bridal carriage!)… It should be a helicopter!”

“Hahaha…!!!” the young-lady was jumping on the other end!

“Only one last thought, Lisa,” I couldn't stop myself from saying to the excited young- lady, “Though I love grand ceremonies, I personally prefer simpler functions… You know, they say, “A wedding is a day… A marriage is a lifetime. Tcre. Gnt.”

There was no response to my sermon!

I realized, that I should not have taken my conversation beyond my first-two lines… “It was outstanding... “

Anyway, now, when I reflect on it, I hold no regrets…


Some ten years ago, that is in 2006, when Tom Cruise and Katie Holmes had decided to hold their wedding (Tom’s third it was) at the 15th-century Odescalchi Castle in Bracciano, Italy, the world had gone crazy over the news… It was one of the most expensive and hyped-up celebrity weddings…. And, I remember writing a blog, the next day.

The wedding lasted for barely over five years, ending in divorce suits worth millions of dollars!


More and more people see marriage as a ‘business contract’, these days… It is difficult to tell a young-one, today, “Dear, wedding is a day… just a day to celebrate. But, there is a whole lifetime to live together, work it out together … It is a lifetime celebration.”

The simpler, the better dear Lisa. I am sorry for preaching you this!

 * Names changed

GERALD D’CUNHA

Comments

Paul Rego said…
In deed wedding is just a day!
Utsav Gupta said…
Marriage is seen more as a contract these days. Nice post.
Drew Watts said…
Hope your wedding ceremony was a special one. Destination weddings are in trend so have booked one of the grand Los Angeles venues for my sister's wedding next month. Its' her favorite place too. Caterers and bakers are also reputed and selected by our dad. Also helping her in trousseau shopping.

Popular posts from this blog

MUTHU KODI KAWARI HADA

"HAPPILY EVER AFTER IS NOT A FAIRY-TALE... IT IS A CHOICE"

SELLING MIRRORS IN THE CITY OF THE BLIND

THE WILD, WAYSIDE FLOWERS
There is, always, something extra-ordinary in the wild, wayside flowers...