THE BLIND-MAN AND HIS LANTERN






Pic.: Azriel D'Souza

Years ago, when I had decided to do something about my poor English, one of the things I did – and found it very useful – was telling a nice story in two tenses… Past and Present. Over the years, I have helped hundreds of people who were earnest to improve their English with the same method… Yes, write a nice story down in both the tenses… and tell it to someone.

This story was there in our school text-book. Over the years, I have come across various versions of this story… and, each version makes it only more meaningful…



THE BLIND-MAN
AND HIS LANTERN


PAST:

Once, a blind-man had been to another town to visit his friend. Late that evening, when the blind-man was ready to leave, his friend lit a lantern and handed it over to the blind-man, saying, “My friend, soon it will be dark outside; please carry this lantern along.”

The blind-man was amused. “I am a blind-man, my dear friend,” he laughed at the suggestion of his friend, “for me, a night and a day are both same.”

“This lamp is not for you,” the friend explained, “this is for others to see a blind-man walking in the darkness.”

“That makes a lot of sense,” the blind-man agreed, “I will carry the lamp with me to wade safely through the darkness.”

Thus, that night, the blind-man, holding in his hand the lantern given by his friend, was on his way home. Along the way, a passerby saw the blind-man with lantern in his hand and asked curiously, “Tell me O stranger, what good can that lantern serve you in this darkness?”

The blind-man had a ready logic packed and parceled by his friend while leaving. So, he quickly replied, “This lantern is for you so see a blind-man walking in the darkness.”

“But, my dear stranger,” the passerby pointed, “the light is long out of your lantern!”


PRESENT:

Once, a blind-man has been to another town to visit his friend. Late that evening, when the blind-man is ready to leave, his friend lights a lantern and hands it over to the blind-man, saying, “My friend, soon it will be dark outside; please carry this lantern along.”

The blind-man is amused. “I am a blind-man, my dear friend,” he laughs at the suggestion of his friend, “for me, a night and a day are both same.”

“This lamp is not for you,” the friend explains, “this is for others to see a blind-man walking in the darkness.”

“That makes a lot of sense,” the blind-man agrees, “I will carry the lamp with me to wade safely through the darkness.”

Thus, that night, the blind-man, holding in his hand the lantern given by his friend, is on his way home. Along the way, a passerby sees the blind-man with lantern in his hand and asks curiously, “Tell me O stranger, what good can that lantern serve you in this darkness?”

The blind-man has a ready logic packed and parceled by his friend while leaving. So, he quickly replies, “This lantern is for you so see a blind-man walking in the darkness.”

“But, my dear stranger,” the passerby points, “the light is long out of your lantern!”


GERALD D’CUNHA

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MUTHU KODI KAWARI HADA

"WE CHOOSE OUR JOYS AND SORROWS LONG BEFORE WE EXPERIENCE THEM."

WHEN A BIRD IS ALIVE, IT EATS ANTS... WHEN THE BIRD DIES, ANTS EAT THE BIRD

THE WILD, WAYSIDE FLOWERS
There is, always, something extra-ordinary in the wild, wayside flowers...