HOW MUCH YOU KNOW VERSUS HOW MUCH YOU CARE





















“No one cares how much you know,
until they know how much you care.”
 -Theodore Roosevelt

I had scheduled a P.D session for a small group of young ones today at 8. At around 9, last night, I got a message to attend some urgent work this morning. So, I called each of the young ones to inform them that I would not be taking their P.D. session this morning. The conversation on phone with one of my boys went like this…

He:  (Casually) “Hello.”

Me: “Hello Karan* beta, this is Gerry sir.”

He: (Deadpan voice) “Yes?”

Me: “Beta, this is Gerry sir.”

He: (Same deadpan voice) “Yes?”

I don’t know why, but, I lost my cool. “Beta, did you see my name on your mobile screen?” I asked my student, annoyed and a bit hurt, too.

“Yes,” the boy replied.

“Then, why that bland ‘Yes’?” I said, “Why couldn’t you show some basic courtesy through your voice, a simple greeting like ‘Hello sir’ or ‘Good evening sir’… Why that indifference and callousness?”

“Sorry,” the young boy said sheepishly.

“Beta, what class do we have tomorrow?” I asked him.

“P.D.” he replied.

“What?”

“Personality Development, sir”

Finally, I could get what I desired from my student… ‘Sir’!

Well, let me tell you this: I was not desperate for an ego massage. But, I wanted my young boy to learn quickly the importance of showing simple courtesy. I knew, that such courtesy did not come with academic excellence… or one’s social status.  Instead, it came from one’s commonsense and social awareness. Above all, it came from one’s love for life, people and his profession. Yes, it was a matter of one’s attitude…

During daytime, yesterday, I had one more case study. This boy’s problem lay with his father, who, too, was a teacher like me (A Mathematics teacher). The boy has been very regular and sincere. He has been grasping the concepts well and I have been very happy with this boy. But, his father is very demanding… He wants his son to get ‘top’ marks… which, I have been telling the father to go slow on. “Sir, he has a good hold of the concepts and he is sincere and hardworking… Let’s acknowledge that… Marks will certainly come, let’s have faith in him.” I have told this to the father several times… But, he is what they call - a ‘difficult customer’…

In many occasions, I have reminded this parent to encourage his son on developing his social and communication skills. (He really needs them). Sadly, the father’s response has been this: “Let him focus on his marks, now.”

Another teacher-friend of mine, who has spent more than three decades teaching Physics and Mathematics in degree colleges, sent me an amazing TED-Talks video… That’s the last thing I took to bed, last night…






I love all my students… and I want them to face life as brave, intelligent and sensitive men and women. All fine things are not learnt inside the classrooms… Neither did I do it, nor do I expect my young students to do it…

Love life… Love people…  Love the work you do! That’s all it takes, you see.

* Name changed
  

GERALD D’CUNHA

Pic.: Chsetna Shetty

Video: TED Talks/YouTube


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MUTHU KODI KAWARI HADA

SELLING MIRRORS IN THE CITY OF THE BLIND

"HAPPILY EVER AFTER IS NOT A FAIRY-TALE... IT IS A CHOICE"

THE WILD, WAYSIDE FLOWERS
There is, always, something extra-ordinary in the wild, wayside flowers...