YES, TOUCH HAS A MEMORY























“Touch has a memory.” 
― John Keats

Last evening, my wife and I had been to the residence of one of my friends. His father has been bedridden for nearly five years with multiple health issues, including chronic kidney-failure. He doesn’t recognize people or remember events. Occasionally, for a fleeting moment, he does remember people and events… Then, that moment passes, and he slips, once again, into his world of dementia.

I was lucky, last evening. My friend’s father recognized me and my wife. He held our hands and, through his touch, communicated a lot. During an hour or so, while we were at my friend’s place, I saw the same ‘touching’ scene: My friend held his father’s hand, even though the father was not in a state of recognizing what was happening around him. I saw the clasped hands closely… the touch… the gently-caressing fingers of both, the father and the son… just the way the lovers communicate in their intimate moments, through their touch, without speaking a single word… I could feel the love and warmth… I could, literally, hear what they spoke to each other!

 “That’s a great way of communication and showing care,” I expressed my delight to my friend…
My friend agreed with a sincere smile, without saying a word!

My friend, who is going to complete 50 soon, works for a large organization. He is an avid reader and articulates his thoughts well. He started using a mobile phone, just a few years ago, after his father was bedridden. But, he uses it as a necessity… for nothing beyond that. Probably, that's the reason why he believes so much in human touch than in touch screen!


Stanley Kunitz’s tender poem comes to my mind:
“Darling, 
do you remember
the man you married? 
Touch me, 
remind me who I am.” 

Holding hands is not just for couples… It’s for all of us to communicate most tenderly, sincerely and effectively. Touch tells a lot… brings back the fondest memories… It brings us alive!

John Keats is right… Touch has memory. And, that’s why we call it a healing touch!







GERALD D’CUNHA

Pic.: Kamal Kishore Rikhari


Video: YouTube

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MUTHU KODI KAWARI HADA

"HAPPILY EVER AFTER IS NOT A FAIRY-TALE... IT IS A CHOICE"

SELLING MIRRORS IN THE CITY OF THE BLIND

THE WILD, WAYSIDE FLOWERS
There is, always, something extra-ordinary in the wild, wayside flowers...