THIS, TOO, IS WORSHIP









Surprisingly, I did not find myself inspired enough to write during these last four or five days. Outside, it’s Mumbai’s busiest festive season… Ganesh Utsav. In the past, I have written many blogs related to this popular festival. However, this time around, I simply did not find the inspiration… Let me clarify: I did not find enough inspiration to blog on ‘any subject’, not just on the festival…

Yes, it’s really surprising! Sometimes, the most mundane things around me inspire me to write the most sublime posts. And, sometimes, the most eventful things leave my soul untouched! Anyway, my writings have, always, been about ‘small things’ – ‘seeing extra-ordinary in the ordinary’ as I like to say. Life abounds with small things every moment of the day. And, if we are too busy filming these events, we may fail to simply observe them and relish. Maybe, that’s what I was doing during these last four or five days… Simply relish the small things!


My Bangaluru-based friend, Vijay, was ecstatic on the day of Ganesh Chaturthi. He and his wife were blessed to have their send son on this auspicious day. And guess what: Their first son is named after Shiva… And, I am sure, the newly-born would be named after Ganesha. Well, that’s not in my hands, though…

“What a day! What a news… Shiva and now Ganesha!” I had expressed my delight immediately.


Amidst hundreds of Ganesh Chaturthi greetings, there was this one particular video sent to me by another friend, Vivek…








Many must’ve watched this before… But, I hadn’t. It gave me Goosebumps!

While talking to Vivek about this video, Vivek said, “The best of the decorative items for Ganesh Utsav are available in Kalbadevi and Masjid areas. They are sold by vendors belonging to the Muslim community.”

It brought a smile on my face… Back in our village, when I was a little boy, I and my brothers picked flowers in our garden. My grandma and mom would weave garlands. Many Catholic households in our village had flower gardens. They all did the same thing… Lovely flower garlands. Some Catholic ladies collected them and went to the central flower-market, where they sold them. Ganesh Chaturthi and Krishna Ashtami were the busiest seasons for all of us… very profitable, too. The best flowers for Lord Ganesha and Lord Krishna were grown in Catholic gardens and sold by Catholic women in our village!

And, in this video, as I heard the Muslim man reply to the question - as to why he did that business - saying, “This, too, is Worship”… Yes, it took me back to my childhood… How we Catholics worshiped Lord Ganesha and Lord Krishna through our own way!


Last night, Urja shared this video on the S.Y.B.Com group to which she belonged…







My instant rely was this:

“Wow! So beautiful! So magical! Urja, I really feel bad for making fuss over your Accountancy learning. You truly belong to these stars. May Lord Ganesha guide you in life. Loads of love and wishes.”

I meant what I said to Urja. She dislikes the subjects she has to learn, including the ones I teach her. But, when it comes to singing and dancing, she is the happiest and finds herself in her best form. But then, that perennial fear: Can she make a living out of singing and dancing?

I, too, have added to this fear, by expecting Urja do what she dislikes. Her parents are very supportive to her and want her to do what she likes… The video sent by her, last night, showcases her talent at their local Ganesh pandal. Like her, lakhs of little ones, young ones and adults come out of their closets, during this festive season, to show us what makes them the happiest…

May Lord Ganesha really guide all of us… the lost souls!

In fact, it was Urja’s video that has provided me with the required inspiration. Not that she has done some earth-shaking things. But, something strong enough to shake ordinary souls like me.


GERALD D’CUNHA

Pic.: Johnson Wang/Internet

Videos: YouTube/Urja Mehendale

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MUTHU KODI KAWARI HADA

WHEN A BIRD IS ALIVE, IT EATS ANTS... WHEN THE BIRD DIES, ANTS EAT THE BIRD

"WE CHOOSE OUR JOYS AND SORROWS LONG BEFORE WE EXPERIENCE THEM."

THE WILD, WAYSIDE FLOWERS
There is, always, something extra-ordinary in the wild, wayside flowers...