WHEN LIFE ITSELF BECOMES A PRAYER















"When life itself has become a prayer, 
we are connected to that source of love and life." 

-  Brian Hardin


Prayer doesn't need my mouth, eyes, ears, hands or legs. Yes, I am not dumb, blind, deaf or without limbs. What if I couldn't speak, see, hear or use my hands and legs? And, what if I did not belong to any religion? 

To me, prayer is a quiet, private communication with our Creator... by whatever name you and I call Him or Her. Therefore, it really makes no difference... I believe, that there is this Supreme Creator behind all these things... and, He must be 'one'!


Last night, my wife and I were invited by a close friend of ours for a Navratri aarti and dinner. He is a Tamilian brahmin and his wife is a Gujarati brahmin. Both are Chartered Accountants. There were two more families as guests - one Rajasthani and one Maharashtrian. The traditional Golu was beautifully decorated by my friend's children... The dress code was red, and the atmosphere was charged with feelings of affection and reverence. The gentlemen and ladies sang some of the popular bhajans and songs... My friend nudged me to sing any of my favourite Christian hymns. I am too shy to sing in gatherings... So, I suggested to my friend to play 'One Day at a Time'... When he did, it brought all of us into a deep silence... I, also, suggested to my friend to play some of my favourite bhajans and songs.... like 'Vaishnava Janato' and 'Krishna Nee Begane  Baro'...














Does it really matter?

Prayer, as I said, is, always, a quiet, private communication with our Creator. In gatherings, whether we sing a 'Jai, Jai Santoshi Maa' or 'Vaishnava Janato', whether we sing 'Mary Did You Know' or 'Khwaja Mere Khwaja'.... What difference does it really make?

If God is one, all that we sing and pray should, eventually, reach only to Him... Shouldn't it?


Today is Mahatma Gandhi's 150th birth anniversary. He admired the essence of all Holy Texts. To me, he was hundred times a better follower of Jesus Christ than me or my many co-Christians. When a Westerner, who was deeply influenced by him, expressed his or her desire to be converted from Christianity to Hinduism, Gandhi made it clear: "There is no need to convert into a Hindu... Be a better Christian!"

How true that is!

Whether I evoke Mother Mary or Goddess Durga, whether I kneel down in a church, mosque or temple... what difference does it really make?

If God is one, everything should reach to Him... Shouldn't it?

Heart speaks in a universal language... the language of feelings and honesty... 

And, that should be enough... 







May Christians be better Christians and may Hindus, Muslims, Sikhs, Jews, Buddhists and others... yes, may all of them be better versions of who they are...

That's, to me, the spirit of Nine Nights and Gandhi Jayanthi...


GERALD D'CUNHA

Pic.: www.pixabay.com


Videos: 1. Sanam 2. Colonial Cousins 3. Made with Music 4. Sahana Sharma

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MUTHU KODI KAWARI HADA

"HAPPILY EVER AFTER IS NOT A FAIRY-TALE... IT IS A CHOICE"

SELLING MIRRORS IN THE CITY OF THE BLIND

THE WILD, WAYSIDE FLOWERS
There is, always, something extra-ordinary in the wild, wayside flowers...