THE GLASS IS ALREADY BROKEN




















“To handle yourself, use your head.
To handle others, use your heart.” 

- Eleanor Roosevelt


What we reveal to the world about ourselves, dare I say, are not our true selves?

And, did I say – “Dare I say?”

Yes, I did.

For, to reveal our true selves demands our true courage!

“I need help”, “I have a problem”, “I do not know how to deal with this situation”… Yes, these admissions can come only from an earnest soul that yearns to save itself.


I have experienced deep loneliness many a time. Many a time, I have woken up in the middle of the night with a cold sweat.  And, if I have survived those dark, lonely moments, it’s, certainly, not because I have been an ‘emotional macho’… But, it’s because, some ‘grace’ has come to my rescue…

Let me tell you this: My problems may not be Himalayan in size. But, then, for each one of us, our respective problems are high, tough and scary enough to scale. Many of us forget, that the ‘macho mask’ that we wear, it self, becomes, often, our suffering-trap…

Yes, we need to open up… And, to open up, we need grace. To seek help – and, it may sound stupid and silly – is not easy. The ‘macho mask’ comes on the way…


“The Glass is already broken.” I first heard about this statement from Dr. Richard Carlson’s book – ‘Don’t Sweat the Small Stuff… And it’s all Small Stuff’. The author gently nudges us to think, that the ‘beautiful glass’ that we have been dying to possess is already broken! So, when it actually breaks – all glasses will, sooner or later - we will be saved from a heartbreak!

Detachment is not for sages alone… It is for all of us, in this world!


“If you love something, set it free…
If it comes back, it’s yours;
If it doesn’t, it never was!”


This Zen piece of advice is what ‘peace’ is all about!


In the process of being ‘successful’, we end up being caught up in the trap called – ‘the success trap’. It’s inherent in the success pursuit; and, only a constant awareness of it can prevent us from being entrapped…


The more we try to hold and control, the harder and harsher the ‘trap of suffering’ becomes…


Fragile human we are… Not hard stones.


We need help.


GERALD D’CUNHA

Pic.: www.pinterest.com

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MUTHU KODI KAWARI HADA

"HAPPILY EVER AFTER IS NOT A FAIRY-TALE... IT IS A CHOICE"

SELLING MIRRORS IN THE CITY OF THE BLIND

THE WILD, WAYSIDE FLOWERS
There is, always, something extra-ordinary in the wild, wayside flowers...