THERE IS A TIME TO BE SILENT

 



“He who does not understand your silence,

will, probably, not understand your words.”

Elbert Hubbard

 

I had first heard the story of the cheetah and the deer from my friend, Dr. Deepak. It was the certification day of our programme on Personality Development… and, it was the summer of 2006.

Dr. Deepak, who, always, told a motivational story to our young ones in his parting message, had this story to tell…

 

THE CHEETAH AND THE DEER




One day, in a jungle, a cheetah was teaching his little son how to hunt. As the teaching was in progress, they smelt a prey at a distance… It was a deer. The cheetah softly said to his cub, “Son, a deer is coming our way… Watch me how I hunt, okay?”

“Okay dad,” the little one said excitedly… They hid being a large bush and waited for the deer to cross their way…

As the deer was about to cross their path, the cheetah, leapt from behind the bush and tried to grab the delicate deer… but, the deer escaped, and the chase began…

The faster the cheetah ran, even faster the deer did… Finally, the deer disappeared completely from the sight of the cheetah…

The cheetah returned, and collapsed before his son, totally exhausted…

Looking at the plight of his father, the little one said, innocently, “Dad, you lost and the deer won.”

The father pulled his son close to his bosoms and said, tenderly, “Yes son, I lost and the deer won.” Then, he added, “Do you want to know why?”

“Yes dad, I want to,” said the little one.

The father explained to his son, “Son, I lost and the deer won, because, I was running for my lunch, and the deer was running for its life.” He concluded, “And that made all the difference between winning and losing.”





I was inspired by the story so much, that on the certification day of the following summer, I published a small book by the title – ‘The Cheetah’. In this book, I introduced seven lessons on the art of ‘running for life’… Before each lesson, I used a brief advice from the cheetah to his cub… Symbolically, it’s an advice any concerned father would offer to his young one, or any concerned teacher or trainer to his young student or trainee…

Today, in this Post, I am, particularly, prompted to share one of them:

 

THE FOURTH LESSON

“There is a time to roar, and there is a time to be silent.

The majesty of your roar comes from the grace of your silence.

There is, also, a time to run, and a time to be still.

The glory of your run is born in the strength of your stillness.”

 

I find a fresh story in everything that see around me… I see the extra-ordinary beauty in the ordinary things. And I tell these stories, almost every day, through my blog posts…

But, I did not blog for over three months (Even though I put together two books over the past few months).

Rightly, as the Fourth Lesson goes, there is a time to blog, and there is a time not to… There is a time to be in limelight, and there is a time to quietly stay out of it…

You see, we are able to see, appreciate, value and celebrate the ‘beauty’ of little things better - only when we go quiet… stay still.

 

GERALD D’CUNHA

Pic’s: Pixabay

Video: Tatiana Blue/Andre Rieu

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MUTHU KODI KAWARI HADA

"HAPPILY EVER AFTER IS NOT A FAIRY-TALE... IT IS A CHOICE"

SELLING MIRRORS IN THE CITY OF THE BLIND

THE WILD, WAYSIDE FLOWERS
There is, always, something extra-ordinary in the wild, wayside flowers...