DRINK YOUR FOOD, CHEW YOUR WATER

 



“The more you eat, the less flavour;

the less you eat, the more flavour.”

Chinese Proverb


 

My elder brother, Franklin, had a large circle of friends when he was a young boy. One evening, a friend of theirs had invited eight of them to his house for a dinner. The friend’s family was known for a judicious lifestyle… They cooked less, seldom wasted any food or indulged in any sort of excess. So, that evening, when my brother and his seven other friends went around the dining table at their friend’s house, they were in for a shock: besides a moderate quantity of rice, chicken gravy, some veg dish, there were sannas (soft idlis prepared at Mangalorean/Goan Catholic houses)… But, only ten or so in number!

Each one in the group took one sanna... “Eat very, very slowly,” the leader of my brother’s mischievous group instructed in whispers, “You won’t be able to pick another from the table.”

So, they settled for one sanna each, and kept munching and chewing like a cow, slowly, gently, and even gladly…

I remember my brother coming home that night and narrating the episode. Our mom chided, “Good lesson for you Bakasuras… You hog my twelve sannas in no time; and you were forced to  take an hour to finish one… Very good!”





Last evening, I was describing to Franklin (over the phone) as to how I had cut down on my food quantity. “For my breakfast, I take only one Ragi roti with a small quantity of cooked vegetables," I said, "but, I eat very, very slowly… Nearly 15 to 20 minutes to complete it… chewing it well, almost making it liquid in my mouth.”

Instantly, my brother, remembered the instruction he and his friends had received from the leader of their group: “Eat very, very slowly… You won’t be able to pick another from the table!”

That old instruction was given in jest… The young men – who were Bakasuras otherwise – were forced to eat like a cow, dragging one sanna in their mouths for eternity! But, this new instruction now is given quite seriously… It’s accepted by choice: “You erstwhile Bakasura, even if there are a hundred sannas on the dining table, you better settle for only one… taking ample time to savour it… Literally drink that sanna… that solitary, precious Ragi roti.”





The Chinese knew it for centuries:

“The more you eat, the less flavour;

the less you eat, the more flavour.”



GERALD D’CUNHA


Pic’s: 1. www.YouTube.com 2. www.onlymyhealth.com

Video: Balance For Life

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MUTHU KODI KAWARI HADA

"HAPPILY EVER AFTER IS NOT A FAIRY-TALE... IT IS A CHOICE"

SELLING MIRRORS IN THE CITY OF THE BLIND

THE WILD, WAYSIDE FLOWERS
There is, always, something extra-ordinary in the wild, wayside flowers...