DOES THE WINNER TAKE IT ALL?

 



“Excellence endures and sustains;

it goes beyond motivation into the realm of inspiration.”

Azim Premji

 

I didn’t watch a single match of the just-concluded T-20 World Cup; but, my son did. Occasionally, I would take some updates from him… and, that’s about it. But, I wanted to watch yesterday’s Final – India Vs South Africa. And, as most Indians did, I watched it fully with my son and wife…

The hangover of the high of our victory still makes my head dizzy… “What a victory… What a turnaround… What a thrill…!” Yes, like everyone else, I have been saying this aloud, and, rightfully so. There were so many goosebumps moments in last night’s contest… So many heartbreaking and heartwarming moments alike… In the end, as the famous line from the ABBA song goes – ‘The Winner takes it all.”

Doesn’t he? Or, does he?

I still remember my state of mind when we had lost the World Cup Final in 2023 in Ahmadabad. If that was a disturbing night, yesterday’s was exceptionally exhilarating…





This Post, however, is not intended to add more to what has been already said, written and shared about the match in Barbados. I don’t understand a lot about international cricket. But, I love the spirit in which it has to be played… I love the stories of ordinary young boys out there making their way up to the stardom. They have earned that place…  They are our Heroes.

Therefore, when I sit there and watch a cricket match, generally, I don’t let myself get carried away by victory or loss. I am aware, that only one team has to win… and the team that plays better that day goes home with the trophy… Nothing beyond that, to me. Frankly.

To me, success and victory, in any field, is a continuous pursuit of excellence. Now, if you ask me, what’s ‘pursuit of excellence’, I may end up only saying this: “Stay committed to your goals… Stay disciplined… Keep learning and improving… Grow through your mistakes… Become a finer human being…  Touch others’ lives along the way.”

Last night, the most memorable moment, to me, was when, post-match, Virar Kohli was, repeatedly, sounding ‘spiritual/philosophical’. He was retiring from playing T-20 matches with a mindboggling legacy of records... including his share of ridicule and toxic trolls. So, this Super Star was downplaying all his achievements as he was stepping aside and thanking the merciful God: “I bow my head in gratitude”… “I only feel humbled” etc. Like Albert Einstein and Mohammad Ali, who said the same thing later in their lives , I found Kohli very mellowed, reflective and peaceful…






Life will continue even after yesterday’s sweet victory at the Barbados – yes, for the players and the spectators, alike. It’s going to be the same-old truth, for all of us, again: “We win some; we lose some.” Meanwhile, our respective commitments to the pursuit of excellence will make the wheel of success go round and round and round…

Well-done, India…

 

GERALD D’CUNHA


Pic’s: 1. PC Wallpapers  2. The Quint

Videos: English Motivational Videos

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MUTHU KODI KAWARI HADA

"HAPPILY EVER AFTER IS NOT A FAIRY-TALE... IT IS A CHOICE"

SELLING MIRRORS IN THE CITY OF THE BLIND

THE WILD, WAYSIDE FLOWERS
There is, always, something extra-ordinary in the wild, wayside flowers...